While Hogwarts Legacy is full of flashy spells and abilities your character can learn, by far one of the most important skills comes in the form of the unlocking charm. Known as Alohomora, the unlocking charm will help you get through locked doors that are sealed by a number of locks and carry three different level requirements. To facilitate this skill, you’ll meet up with Gladwin Moon, the Hogwarts caretaker. If you're looking to grab all of the Hogwarts Legacy Demiguise Moons, we've got your covered!
What Is The Importance Of The Demiguise Moons In Hogwarts Legacy?
By taking on the main quest “The Caretaker’s Lunar Lament”, Mr Moon will introduce you to his plight – someone is bullying him by placing Demiguise statues around the school grounds. After sneaking around using some stealth and the handy Disillusionment spell, the quest completes with you having gained the ability to enter all of those locked doors you’ve likely seen around the world. You’ll start out at Level I and to progress to Level II and Level III respectively, you’ll need to collect further Demiguise Moon statues scattered around Hogwarts, Hogsmeade and the surrounding hamlets. It’s important to remember, you can only collect them at night even if you stumble upon these statues during the day. You can swap from day to night any time by pressing the appropriate button in the map menu.
There are 33 statues in total, including three that you find during the guided initial main quest. In order to open Level II (9 statues required) and eventually III (13 statues required) locks, you’ll need to obtain the following demiguise statues in any order:
Demiguise Moon Statue Locations in Hogwarts
- Great Hall: Following from the Floo Flame, find a locked door on the right and you’ll find the Demiguise Moon inside on a small table.
- Restricted Section of the Library: Go to the Restriction Section, which should be completely open now, and follow down the stairs until you see a table near one of the eyeball chests on the left. The statue is on the table.
- Out of Service Toilets: head to the South Wing near the Defense classroom and into the wizard’s bathroom marked with an out of order sign. Once inside, find the middle stall and open it to find another statue.
- Divination Classroom: Climb the ladder to the Divination Classroom where the statue can be found on the professor’s desk.
- Muggle Studies Classroom: Head to the Bell Tower courtyard, take the stairs on up on the left and through the door. Then go down the stairs past the sleeping dragon statue to a locked door on the left. The Demiguise will be found on the desk.
- Beast Class Area: Unlock the building in the Beast class area and enter a room to the right. The statue sits on a table in the room.
- Professor Fig’s Classroom: The statue sits near the fireplace in his office.
- Potion’s Classroom: From the Potions class Floo, take the door in front of you, take a left and down the stairs. There’s a door at the end, which opens to a hallways and the first door on the left will have the Demiguise Moon.
- Hogwarts North: Turn around from the Floo point and go to the left wall with a door by the stairs. The Demiguise statue is located behind the door.
- Transfiguration Courtyard: Take the Floo to the courtyard and enter the door to the left of it. To the right is a door framed by two gargoyles, open the lock and the statue is on a table to the left.
Demiguise Moon Statue Locations in Hogsmeade
- Gladrags Wizard Wear: The statue is found right on the counter to the right where the man is working.
- Three Broomsticks Room: A side entrance on the left of the Three Broomsticks will take you up to the top of some stairs. Enter the locked door and grab the Demiguise Moon within.
- Tomes and Scrolls: Behind the counter and in a small room at the left.
- Waterwheel: At the north of the map there’s a house near the waterwheel. The statue is in there.
- Hog’s Head: Enter and find the statue in a room behind the bar.
- Near J Pippin’s Potions: A house located next to the potions shop holds the next Demiguise. Unlock the door and go upstairs to find it on the dresser.
- Near Hog’s Head: Head to the house across from the Hog’s Head with a Level II lock. Go upstairs and grab the statue.
- East of Three Broomsticks: There’s a house each of the shop with a Level I lock. The statue is upstairs.
- Dervish and Bangles: Go west of Gladrags to enter the shop and grab the statue off the counter.
- Edge of Hogsmeade: There’s a house on the far east of the map, unlock the door and the statue is inside.
- Near the Bridge by the Waterwheel: A house located just before the bridge directly north of the Floo with a locked door. Find the statue on the shelf as you enter.
Demiguise Moon Statue Locations in Hamlets
- Feldcroft: Head straight from the Floo Flame to a locked house covered in vines. The statue is on a window sill to the left.
- Keenbridge: Look for the house with pumpkins, the statue is inside.
- Irondale: From the first house on the right side, the statue is in its entrance.
- Pitt -Upon-Ford: Go to the last house on the right from the Floo, unlock the door and find the statue up the stairs.
- Upper Hogsfield: In a house with a wheel at the front, the statue is inside.
- Lower Hogsfield: In the first house on the right, the statue is located to the right of the door once inside.
- Aranshire: Near the bed in a house in Aranshire on the east side of the map.
- Brocburrow: Located in a house near the Floo point. It’s on the floor near a privacy screen.
- Marunweem: Located in a house near the river, the statue is in the corner by the stove.
- Cragcroftshire: Located in a house at the west of the map by the vendor, the Demiguise is up the stairs.
- Bainburgh: Head to a locked house at the north of the town next to a sign board. The statue is sitting on a chair.
Head back to Mr Moon in the Faculty Tower and he’ll teach you Level II and Level III Alohomora respectively. There’s also an achievement for finding all Demiguise Moons so they’re definitely worth seeking out if you’re looking to collect everything.
What Is The Alohomora Unlocking Spell And How To Use It?
Alohomora, or the unlocking spell, will let you enter all those pesky locked doors found all over the map. Even though it’s not as flashy as your combat spells, there is a little bit of extra to it than just pressing a button and making it work. Each time you go to open a lock, you’ll be confronted with a minigame of sorts. The goal of the game is to move the red and green sparks into the correct position to release the lock.
The easiest way to do this is by starting with one color first, pushing the spark into one of the groves in the gear. Rotating it to move the gear and then hold it in place while you tend to the other one. If you’ve done it correctly, the spark will appear on the outer gear in the bottom right corner for the green spark and in the middle for the red one. Next, move the spark you didn’t place into its slot and rotate once again until the respective gear starts moving. Hold both gears in place and the lock should click and open for you. The game can be a little tricky – sometimes you’ll only see a slight movement so be sure to rotate back and test around where you see the gears twitch.
Now if you’d rather avoid this minigame, if you play on Story mode difficulty, there is an option to automatically solve these lock puzzles by pressing a single button. Ultimate it’s up to you but once you get the hang of the minigame it’s really quite quick.