Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are now out for Nintendo Switch. These remakes of the 2008 DS games Pokemon Diamond and Pearl bring the games forward in terms of graphics, connectivity, and plenty of quality of life changes. In this Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Beginner Guide, we'll talk about all of the new features, where to get some important items, and what is locked away behind defeating the Elite 4 and obtaining the National Dex.
New Features in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl
When do I get remote access to Pokemon Boxes and ball capsules?
After defeating the first gym head back east to Jubilife City, then travel north, fight two Galactic Grunts and Bebe will show up and give you remote access to your Pokemon box and ball capsules so you can stylize your entrances
Pick a style that's right for you!
You can change the outfit of your character by heading to the Metronome Style Shop in Veilstone City. All of the Styles you'll see early in the game are below:
- Pikachu Hoodie Style - $8,500
- Overalls Style - $21,000
- Eevee Jacket Style - $98,000
- Gengar Jacket Style - $98,000
- Cyber Style - $45,000
- Winter Style - $50,000
- Spring Style - $34,000
- Casual Style - $86,000
- Leather Jacket Style - $120,000
How can I have my Pokemon follow me?
When you reach Hearthome City head to the entrances for Amity Square Park in the top left or right. Enter the park and you'll pick a Pokemon to walk with you. Turn around and immediately leave, your Pokemon will return to its PokeBall but you'll be told that Pokemon like to be let out of their ball. Now when you select your Pokemon in the Pokemon screen there's a "Walk Around" option.
No more HM Pokemon, Bidoof is still king
You can use HMs without teaching them to a Pokemon. It's still possible for Pokemon to use those moves as attacks but instead different wild pokemon can be summoned to use an HM by interacting with the tree/rock/water, or by using the Poketch on the R button. Bidoof being an HM slave has still been leaned into as a joke. Any of the HM moves he or Bibarel would be able to learn they're the Pokemon that show up.
Where to get key items
Where to get the Bike?
Press the B button to shift gears on the bike. In third gear the bike can't reach full speed but will be easier to handle. In fourth gear, it can ride at full speed and climb up slopes.
After making your way to Eterna City defeat the third gym and then head North of the Pokemon Center. There you'll meet Cynthia who will give you cut. Use cut on the building entrance you're right next to and defeat the Team Galactic goons inside. Once Team Galactic has been kicked out go to the building South of the Pokemon Center and speak with the man at the counter. He'll offer to give you a Blue, Red, Yellow, or Green bike.
Where to get the Vs. Seeker?
After getting the bike in Eternal City head south via the cycling road and you'll bump into the professor's assistant who will give you the Vs. Seeker which allows you to rematch opponents and the Dowsing Machine that will help you find hidden items.
Where do I get the Poffin Case?
In Hearthome City head to the Pokemon fan club building. It's to the right of the Pokemart. Talk to the old man behind the table and he will give you a Poffin Case
How to get all Poketch apps?
- Digital Clock - Beginning app
- Calculator - Beginning app
- Memo Pad - Talk with President of Poketch Company after obtaining a badge
- Step Counter - Beginning app
- Your Party - Beginning app
- Happiness Checker - Talk with a woman in the Pokemon Center in Eterna City
- Dowsing Machine - Given to you by your rival the first time you enter Route 207
- Berry Checker - Talk with the Berry Master on Route 208
- Breeding Center Checker - Talk to the Daycare Center employees in Solaceon Town
- Pokemon Catch History - Obtained from a man in Solaceon Town
- Counter - Obtained by talking to the woman at the counter on the second floor of the Veilstone department store.
- Analogue Clock - Speak to the man in the building to the left of the Pokemon Center in Celestic Town
- Marking Map - Talk with President of Poketch Company after obtaining 3 badges
- Wireless Searcher - Talk with the President of Poketch Company after obtaining 5 badges
- Coin Toss - Obtained at the Grand Lake Hotel
- Type Chart - Talk with President of Poketch Company after obtaining 7 badges
- Calendar - Speak with the man in Sunyshore City who checks Pokemon Natures and bring him a Pokemon with a Serious Nature
- Drawing Board - Speak with the man in Sunyshore City who checks Pokemon Natures and bring him a Pokemon with a Naive Nature
- Roulette - Speak with the man in Sunyshore City who checks Pokemon Natures and bring him a Pokemon with a Quirky Nature
- Poke Radar - Completion the Sinnoh Dex and go and see Professor Rowan
- Chain Counter - Complete the Sinnoh Dex and meet Oak at Ramanas Park
In the original release of Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, there was also a PokeRadar Checker, Timer, Color Changer, Matchup Checker, Stopwatch, and Alarm Clock app that were tied to Pal Park and Nintendo Events. It's unclear if those will be available in Brilliant Diamond or Shining Pearl.
What is NOT in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl?
- No Mega Evolutions/Z Moves
- No Platinum gameplay elements (The Gym Leader rematches DO follow Platinum teams)
- Any new endgame story or "Delta Episode"
- Pal Park has been replaced with new Ramanas Park
What do you get access to after completing the Elite 4?
- Rematch fights with all Gym Leaders with a much more difficult team
- These teams are based on their Platinum Rematch teams, but they also gain a sixth Pokemon to their party
- Battle Zone, the island to the North-East of Sinnoh, can be traveled to using the boat south of Snowpoint City. You can only go to the Fight Area if you haven't completed the National Dex.
What do you get access to after completing the National Dex?
- The Battle Zone's Resort Area
- The Battle Zone's Survival Area
- Ramanas Park
- A number of Legendary Pokemon encounters become available including Heatran, Cresselia, Giratina