Square Enix has launched a Final Fantasy XIV collaboration with the popular Japanese cooking channel Delish Kitchen focusing on some of the game's iconic dishes.
Interestingly, the collaboration videos star two of the game's voice actors, Yoshitsugu Matsuoka who plays Hermes (also known for Kirito in Sword Art Online and many more roles) and Itaru Yamamoto who plays Runar.
The first video, which you can see below, teaches you to cook the Mist Spinach Quiche. You need the following ingredients to fit a 15 cm-wide dish. Keep in mind that since this is a Japanese channel, the Metric system is used.
- 1 20 cm x 20 cm frozen pastry sheet
- 2 slices of bacon cut thick
- 100g of Spinach
- 5 mushrooms
- 10g of salted butter
- 30g of mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 100cc of fresh cream
- 1/3 teaspoon of salt
- A pinch of pepper
And here's the procedure
- Thinly slice the mushroom. Cut the stems of the spinach and then cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- Cut the bacon into 1 cm-wide pieces
- Put the bitter into a frying pan and add the butter. Fry it until brown. Add the mushroom and sauté until the butter melts, then add the spinach and sauté.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and mix them, then add the cream, salt, and pepper while you preheat your oven to 200°C.
- Roll the pastry sheet with a rolling pin until it's a bit larger than the dish. Place it in the dish, cut off the protruding parts, and place them at the bottom (make sure you remove the pastry sheet from the freezer at least 5 minutes before and let it heat up naturally to room temperature).
- Spread the rest of the ingredients into the dish over the dough after tearing the mozzarella cheese. Add the egg mix and bake in the preheated oven at 200°C for 25-30 minutes. To make sure it's well cooked, poke the batter with a stick and if the batter doesn't stick to it, it's done. Let it cool down and then remove from the dish.
The second video teaches you to make the Popoto Pancakes. Here's what you need for two servings.
- 4 potatoes weighing approximately 480g
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons of wheat flour.
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Salad oil
- 1 Apple
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1/4 tablespoon of cinnamon powder
- 10 grams of unsalted butter
And here's the procedure:
- Grate the potatoes. Cut the apple into quarters, peel them, and remove the core. Cut half of it into 1cm squares and grate the other half.
- Put the apple, the sugar, the lemon juice, the cinnamon, and the butter into a heat-resistant container, mix it, wrap it, and heat it in the microwave at 600W for 5 minutes. Mix, and let it cool.
- Put the grated potatoes and egg in a bowl and mix them. Add the flour and salt and mix again.
- Spread the oil thinly on a frying pan, heat it, and pour 1/4 of the mix you just made (potatoes, egg, flour, and salt) on it. Bake it for about 3 minutes until it's brown. Turn it over and bake it for 2-3 minutes until it's brown. Repeat four times.
- Plate the pancakes and pour your apple mix on it.
Final Fantasy XIV is out now for PC, PS5, and PS4, while an Xbox Series X|S version has just been announced this week and will enter open beta relatively soon with a final release window in spring 2024. Players in open beta will be able to play on the live servers with everyone else as it happened a while ago with the PS5 versions.
The Dawntrail expansion will launch in Summer 2024 and we already have many details and plenty of screenshots. While we wait to hear more, Square Enix also shared plenty of information about the upcoming update, numbered 6.5.