ModDB, a website that collects and showcases mods for a wide variety of games, has released the results of its 2021 Mod of the Year Awards. These awards cover mods for a variety of games, such as Doom, Half-Life, and Gothic II.
Over the past twenty days, the community at ModDB have voted for the top 100 mods released over 2021, and now the results have been tallied. Before going over the mods, ModDB takes a second to mention some modding highlights in 2021, such as the modding tools released for the Master Chief Collection and some of the mods already made for Mass Effect: Legendary Edition. As for the Top 10 mods, the list is as follows:
And the ModDB 2021 Mod of the Year Award winners are...
- 10th Place: Ashes 2063 (Doom II) is a post-apocalypse total conversion mod that has players exploring two full episodes and and expansion worth of content, featuring a soundtrack by cacoward-winning musician John S. Weekley (aka PRIMEVAL.)
- 9th Place: The End of Days (Command & Conquer: Generals Zero Hour) is a freeward mod that adds Russia as a playable faction and ands plenty of content to the three preexisting factions.
- 8th Place: X-Ray Multiplayer Extension (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat) adds co-op multiplayer to the base game.
- 7th Place: VTMB Unofficial Patch (Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines) combines the default Basic Patch, which fixes the game's bugs, and the optional Plus Patch, which adds various tweaks and new/unused content.
- 6th Place: Dark Interval (Half-Life 2) uses Valve's early concepts to make a restoration/revision mod that lets players play the game as it could have been.
- 5th Place: Rise of the East (Command & Conquer: Yuri's Revenge) remasters the single-player campaigns, adds two new factions to the game, and much more.
- 4th Place: SIGNAL LOST (Half-Life) reimagines Half-Life: Uplink and takes players through a variety of cut locations, recreated with atmosphere in mind.
- 3rd Place: Command and Conquer: Generals Evolution (Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3) reimagines Generals/Zero Hour on the superior Red Alert 3 engine.
- 2nd Place: Black Mesa: Blue Shift (Black Mesa) is a free remake of second Half-Life add-on that uses the game's resources and style.
- 1st Place: The Chronicles of Myrtana: Archolos (Gothic II - The Night of the Raven) is a total conversion mod that takes place before the first game in the original series. It features a completely new open world, improved skill systems, gameplay mechanics, and a complex story.