Fans of The Last of Us who have been waiting to play The Last of Us Part 2 on PS5 natively can rest easy, as The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered has just been leaked.
According to the leak, the game will be released for PS5 on January 19, 2024.
This isn't your usual "Uncle Working at Nintendo" rumor either, as several assets have been made available, pretty much proving that the game is real.
The whole PlayStation Store page has been leaked via the usual PSDeals website including several screenshots, while Insider Gaming (which initially obtained details from PlayStationSize) showcased a trailer with the release date.
Here's what you can expect in terms of improvements.
• A host of graphical improvements bring the beautiful-yet-dangerous world to life.
• Visual performance now outputs at 4K in Fidelity Mode.
• Improved loading times more quickly let you jump into action.
• Full DualSense wireless controller integration.
We also hear about the "No Return" mode, described as roguelike survival.
Experience The Last of Us Part II’s deep combat via an entirely new mode! Survive as long as you can in each run, as you choose your path through a series of randomized encounters. Play as a host of different unlockable characters, some never-before playable in The Last of Us franchise, each with unique gameplay traits. The variety of challenges feature different foes and memorable locations from throughout Part II, all culminating in tense boss battles.
Last, but not least, we get some information on additional content and features.
• Lost Levels lets you explore early-development versions of three new levels not seen in the original.
• Enjoy hours of new developer commentary to hear insights into Part II’s development as you experience the game.
• Live up to your musical potential with Guitar Free Play, which includes new unlockable instruments, or take on the new Speedrun Mode and post your best times.
• Descriptive Audio and Speech to Vibrations have also been added to Part II's suite of accessibility features.
• The Last of Us Part II Remastered also features brand new unlockable character and weapon skins for players to use for both Ellie and Abby.
The Speedrun Mode is unlocked via game progression, while the Descriptive Audio is only available for languages that have voiceovers.
You can watch the screenshots below.
Update: Sony has officially announced the game, and you can watch the official trailer below.
We also learn that gamers who own the original game for PS4 will be able to upgrade for $10. A special edition named W.L.F. Edition will be available, including a Steelbook case, 47 Society of Champions trading cards, a WLF patch, and a set of four enamel pins.
Pre-orders will go live on December 5, but no prices have been announced for either the standard or the special edition if you can't take advantage of the upgrade.
In other Naughty Dog news, we recently learned that the multiplayer game dedicated to the The Last of Us franchise is still in development even if Sony is slowing down its plans for live service games.
A while ago, the developer also mentioned that it was working on a single-player experience, but we don't know if it was a mention related to the then-unannounced The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered, or something else entirely.