Fans of Adventure Time may have a chance to experience one of its spin-offs. Cryptozoic Entertainment has launched a Kickstarter campaign for Adventure Time Card Wars 10th Anniversary, which will reprint the officially licensed card game.
The Adventure Time Card Wars 10th Anniversary Kickstarter
As the Kickstarter campaign explains, the Adventure Time Card Wars 10th Anniversary campaign is celebrating the debut of the Card Wars card game released in November 2013.
The card game itself is based on the Card Wars episode of the Adventure Time animated series, which had main characters Finn and Jake play each other in an over-the-top card game, all to determine who is the Dweeb and who is the Cool Guy.
As such, Adventure Time Card Wars is a two-player card game. Both players have a deck of 40 cards and a set amount of hitpoints. In addition, there are a series of oversized landscape (lane) tiles.
Players take turns playing creatures on landscape tiles, crafting buildings to enhance their landscapes, and casting spells, all to bring their opponents' hitpoints to 0.
Since the original release, Adventure Time Card Wars received several add-on packs, which added additional cards to allow for greater customization. These were not collectible booster packs like a collectible card game like Magic, but more like expansion packs.
And Adventure Time Card Wars 10th Anniversary wants to bring all of those packs back to print and much more. The Kickstarter Exclusive Ultimate Edition of the game includes the base game as well as all 6 original add-ons.
Altogether, that box includes the following:
- 12 distinct decks, each one based on Adventure Time characters like Finn, Jake, Ice King, Marceline, Lemongrab, and Gunter, for a total of 480 cards
- 48 different landscape tiles
- 8 frozen tokens
- 1 collectible longbox storage case
In addition, Adventure Time Card Wars 10th Anniversary will include Adventure Time Card Wars: Doubles Tournament. This adds a 2 vs. 2 mode along with additional decks. There even are brand new cards hinted at through stretch goals.
Lastly, a bit of stealth marketing, those who back this Kickstarter will also unlock a Card Wars-themed adventure module for the upcoming Adventure Time TTRPG.
The stretch goals for Adventure Time Card Wars 10th Anniversary are as follows:
- Flooper of Pigs for $65: A copy of Adventure Time Card Wars Ultimate Edition, plus any unlocked Stretch Goals and Upgrades
- Card Warrior for $115: A copy of the Ultimate Edition, a copy of Doubles Tournament, and a Collector's Storage Box
- Cool Guy for $245: Everything in Card Warrior pledge, the RPG module, a playmat, plastic tokens and bag, 800 card sleeves, a set of 18 tuck boxes, and Cool Guy and Dweeb mini mugs.
At the time of writing, Adventure Time Card Wars 10th Anniversary has almost doubled its Kickstarter funding goal. The campaign opened with a goal of $80,000 and has since raised $155,441. The Kickstarter will conclude on December 15.