Square Enix has announced that FFXIV house demolition will resume starting in early March 2022, reinstituting a policy that was suspended during the pandemic.
Final Fantasy XIV is Square Enix's flagship MMORPG, based on its long-running (and highly popular) Final Fantasy franchise of JRPGs. The game most recently launched its Valentione's Day event, just two weeks after the game restarted sales that were temporarily halted due to insanely-long queue times.
The reinstatement of game sales is a sign that things are returning to normal in FFXIV. Now, another policy that was temporarily halted will be making its return in a few weeks: house demolition.
How FFXIV House Demolition Will Work
As far as we know, the FFXIV house demolition policy will work as it has before; players must log in at least once every 45 days so as not to lose their property. Here's how it works according to this page on the game's official website:
- Thirty days of inactivity
- A notification indicating that the estate is being prepared for auto-demolition will appear in the Timers interface in the Duty tab of the Main Menu.
- Thirty-five days of inactivity
- An e-mail will be delivered to the registered e-mail addresses of all free company members, or the owner of a private estate, indicating the estate is being prepared for auto-demolition.
- Forty-two days of inactivity
- An e-mail will be delivered to the registered e-mail addresses of all free company members, or the owner of a private estate, indicating that the estate will be demolished automatically in three days.
- Forty-five days of inactivity
- The estate will be automatically demolished.
Players or free company members associated with the property can reset the demolition timer by entering the property. Should a house be demolished, a partial refund on the price of the estate grounds and certain furnishings can be reclaimed for a period of 35 days. The plot of land, however, will be automatically put up for sale.
The situation with the FFXIV house demolition suspension has also resulted in a tricky problem -- some players may not have logged in for a long time. This will affect the timer in one of two ways:
- Players who have logged in during the suspension period will have a fully-reset, 45-day countdown starting on the date the house demolition policy resumes.
- The timer for players who have not logged in during the suspension period will resume from where it left off before the suspension period started. For example, if you had 22 days remaining to log in when the suspension was instituted, that countdown will resume with 22 days remaining when the demolition countdown begins again.
The FFXIV house demolition policy will begin again on Wednesday, March 9, 2022, at around 3:00 AM Eastern Time. If you haven't logged into the game in a while, you probably should do so sooner rather than later. New players can buy Final Fantasy XIV for PC and PlayStation starting at $19.99 or your regional equivalent.
Have you logged into Final Fantasy XIV in the time since the housing demolition policy was suspended? Do you think Square Enix should extend the length of the timer? Let us know in the comments below!