5 New Legendary Skins, 0 New Game Modes
The Overwatch Halloween Terror 2019 event has arrived! Once again, Overwatch is getting a little bit scary with Halloween-themed skins, the return of Junkenstein's Revenge, and a new balance patch!
As always, the event was announced via the game's official Twitter. Let's get the one big question out of the way: no, there isn't a new event this year. Junkenstein's Revenge is back, though, and you'll still be able to enjoy the same great PVE gameplay that you've always loved.
Of course, a returning event means that some new skins are on the way! Let's take a look at what you can get:
Much like other, more recent events, Overwatch Halloween Terror 2019 is introducing a win counter for each of the three weeks that the event is running. Interestingly, it isn't entirely restricted to Epic skins this time around; instead, players will have the opportunity to unlock Sombra's previously-exclusive Demon Hunter skin by getting nine wins in the third week of the event. The new Blizzcon skins have also been activated.
New skins aren't the only thing that's come to this event. As always, a patch has been deployed to activate the event and several buffs and nerfs have made their way into the game.
Overwatch Halloween Terror 2019 Patch Notes
Several hero buffs and nerfs have made their way into this Overwatch patch along with a change that I've been wanting to see for a very long time — an expansion of the Arcade menu. A total of seven cards can now be seen, one of which hails the launch of a new season of 3v3 Competitive Elimination. (Here's hoping that FFA Deathmatch gets a permanent spot once the event's over!)
Here are the hero buffs and nerfs that have arrived, taken straight from the patch notes:
- Regeneration rate increased from 12.5% to 16% per second
- Delay before regeneration begins lowered from 1 second to 0.75 seconds
Developer Comment: This change will allow D.Va to absorb more damage over time, while still keeping the maximum duration she can absorb at one time the same.
- Cooldown increased from 9 to 10 seconds
Developer Comment: Orisa’s barrier is often too difficult to deal with. This increased cooldown will make it more reasonable to destroy it before she can place another one.
- Ammunition increased from 5 to 6.
Developer Comment: Roadhog is one of the best heroes at breaking down barriers quickly, but often he would be out of ammo and unable to capitalize on a barrier being destroyed. This change gives him more opportunities to poke at these high health targets and still having extra shots to threaten the enemy.
- No longer blocks Chain Hook and Whip Shot
- High gravity effect duration reduced from 1.2 to 0.9 seconds
- Regeneration rate reduced from 175 to 150 per second
- Now has a 1 second cooldown after recalling the barrier
- Initial 0.2 second cast time removed
Developer Comment: Sigma can often feel difficult to counter since he can so quickly reposition his shield and use Kinetic Grasp to block from other directions. We’re opening up some weaknesses in these abilities to allow for more counter play from his enemies.
- Duration increased from 6 to 9 seconds
- Health increased from 600 to 700
Developer Comment: Winston’s barrier often feels unreliable as a protection tool since it can be destroyed so quickly. Raising the health and duration should allow for him to apply pressure and protect his team more consistently.
- Health decreased from 250 to 200
Developer Comment: Immortality Field is a very strong ability with its weakness being that it is destroyable. We’re lowered the health of the device so that its can be countered more easily.
- Speed boost's effect increased from 20% to 25%
Amp It Up
- Speed boost's amplification increased from 50% to 60%
- Speed buff reduced from 40% to 30%
Developer Comment: Lucio has had previous reductions to his speed that were put in place to reduce his effectiveness when boosting more than 2 tanks. Now that this is no longer possible, he is gaining some of his speed back. The Wall Ride change is there to counteract the increase in speed, so it should feel the same as it did before the change.
- The extra beams created by Valkyrie now ignore enemy barriers
Developer Comment: This change will make Valkyrie makes Mercy’s beams consistent with how they work outside of the ultimate.
- Self-healing reduced from 30 to 20 health per second
Developer Comment: Moira’s dueling capability is a bit too strong, so we’re reducing the self-healing gain from her Biotic Grasp to make it more reasonable to fight against her alone.
- Time to reach max charge increased from 1 to 1.4 seconds
The Best Defense…
- Shield health gained per hit reduced from 35 to 30
Developer Comment: We’re increasing Doomfist’s charge time for Rocket Punch to give players more warning when he is charging this powerful ability. We’re also reducing the shield health gain from his passive ability to weaken how much damage he can soak while dishing out his own.
- Cooldown increased from 4 to 6 seconds
- Cooldown now begins immediately upon deploying the beacon or if it is killed by an enemy
Developer Comment: Having the Translocator cooldown begin right when it is thrown allows Sombra more flexibility in how she can use it. For example, she can now often redeploy it instantly after teleporting to it, or quickly destroy and reposition it while sneaking around. The cooldown has been increased to compensate for this change.
- Duration reduced from 15 to 12 seconds
- Health reduced from 5000 to 4000
- Damage per second reduced from 50 to 40
- Players impacted by the primary fire beam should now hear a louder impact sound
Developer Comment: The duration of Photon Barrier was too high considering its impact on a battle. Recent changes have seen large increases in Symmetra’s overall damage output, so we’re reducing her turret damage in lieu of making further damage adjustments to her Photon Projector.
- Damage falloff now starts at 13 meters, up from 10 meters
Developer Comment: This change will allow Tracer to play from slightly further away from her targets, allowing her to stay safer while still keeping pressure on her enemies.
Read more about other bugfixes and changes in the full patch notes. You can also see a trailer for the event below. The Overwatch Halloween Terror 2019 event is now live and will end on November 4, 2019.
What do you think of the new skins introduced in Overwatch Halloween Terror 2019? Are you happy to see an expansion of the Arcade Cards? Let us know in the comments below!