Sega and Amplitude are releasing the first Humankind DLC pack later this month. The Humankind Cultures of Africa DLC will add six new African cultures to the game, as well as more than a dozen extra events and five new wonders to check out.
What's in the first Humankind DLC pack?
This Humankind Africa DLC is adding six new cultures spanning across six eras. This'll be the first DLC pack for the game; although it's received several updates, including the recent Fabius Maximus update, it's had no paid DLC as yet. In this DLC, you're getting three Agrarian cultures, as well as an Expansionist option, a Merchant culture, and a Militarist group as well. Here's a rundown of all the cultures that are included in the Humankind DLC coming later this month.
- Bantu (Era 1, Expansionist) - this culture reflects a posited series of migrations involving the Ntu-speaking African people moving across sub-Saharan Africa
- Garamantes (Era 2, Agrarian) - Dependent on a complex irrigation system, the Garamantes were dominant during the second century AD
- Swahili (Era 3, Merchant) - Swahili city-states were hubs for trade across the Indian Ocean
- Maasai (Era 4, Agrarian) - The Maasai were pastoralists whose rites of passage included killing a lion with a spear
- Ethiopians (Era 5, Militarist) - Ethiopia is one of only two African nations untouched by colonization thanks to its sheer cliff faces
- Nigerians (Era 6, Agrarian) - a unification of several cultures, Nigeria is one of West Africa's biggest production hubs
As well as these cultures, you're also getting "over a dozen" brand new events, as well as consequences of those events, according to Amplitude. Five new wonders are also being added: Lake Natron, Mount Kilimanjaro, Victoria Falls, Zuma Rock, and the Great Mosque of Djenne are all being added to reflect the Cultures of Africa DLC's African focus. All in all, there should be plenty of new content to sink your teeth into when this DLC arrives.
When is the Humankind Cultures of Africa DLC release date?
You'll be able to get your hands on the Humankind Cultures of Africa DLC pack when it launches on January 20th. It'll set you back $8.99 for the pack, although pre-ordering it now will net you a 10% discount. It sounds like future Humankind DLC packs will bring more cultures, too; Amplitude says that it wanted to come back after the game's release and "add more cultures", so expect future DLC packs to focus on this element of the game as well. It's definitely one of the focal points of the game as a whole.
Humankind is a 4X strategy game along the lines of Civilization. It was originally announced at the 2019 Gamescom event and was described as the culmination of developer Amplitude's efforts (which include Endless Legend and Endless Space) up to this point. You can grab the game right now via its official website; it's available on PC, Mac, Linux, and Google Stadia for $49.99 (or whatever that comes to in your region).
Are you excited to check out the first Humankind DLC pack? Let us know in the comments below!