Today EA Sports announced the release date and gameplay details of the upcoming MMA game UFC 5, the next installment of the UFC series.
The game will launch for PS5 and Xbox Series X|S on October 27, 2023. Developed in Frostbite Engine, it promises "the definitive MMA experience."
A Deluxe Edition is available for pre-order including a 3-day early access, Mike Tyson, Fedor Emelianenko, Muhammad Ali, the Bruce Lee bundle, and more.
In terms of gameplay, we hear about a plethora of new system and technologies starting with the "Real Impact" system that promises "blow-by-blow damage with hyper-accurate progression as fighter attributes realistically deteriorate over the course of a fight."
We also get the following:
- Cinematic K.O. Replay: Cinematic K.O. replays showcase fight-ending finishes with intensified visuals and enhanced excitement. Presented in super slow motion with cinematic angles and lighting, the impact of fight-ending shots represents highlight reel moments recapturing the drama of a UFC fight.
- Doctor’s Checks and Stoppages: Suffering a notable injury prompts the referee to pause the fight for a ringside doctor's inspection. Failure to adapt and protect the injury from further damage can lead to a doctor's stoppage, which introduces true-to-sport strategic variables for players to navigate under heightened pressure.
- New Strikes and Hit Reactions: New Strike animations emulate heavy hitters, professional kickboxers and more - coupled with new motion variations for ground and pound elbows, spinning attacks, body punches and calf kicks. Plus, the Hit Reaction animations and physics during a frenetic fight can initiate clean connection impacts - moments players can feel with next-level immersion during gameplay.
- Seamless Submissions: Revamped Seamless Submissions extend the existing grappling system with faster animation transitions and the removal of mini games. Grapple Assist aids beginners, while veterans can explore deeper layers. Seamless submissions provide a smoother, authentic ground game for grappling enthusiasts.
- Fight Week and Alter Egos: UFC 5's launch includes a revamped live service with features like Fight Week and Fight Picks tied to real-world UFC events. Alter Egos are all new versions of top fighters which capture authentic career-defining moments and provide alternative looks and associated abilities.
A trailer was released to highlight the mood of the game, with a gameplay reveal promised "soon."
The press release also included a comment from UFC President Dana White.
UFC 5 is the most realistic MMA experience fans can have outside of the Octagon. This game is incredible and truly a next-generation UFC experience.
We also hear from lead producer Nate McDonald.
UFC 5 offers an intensely realistic fighting experience, harnessing Frostbite's power and technology.
From our Real Impact System that helps maximize the power of the generational hardware leap, to the enhanced lighting, detailed characters, strand-based hair and face animation system, every aspect is upgraded. Our collaboration with UFC delivers an unparalleled and authentic MMA interactive experience.
Last, but not least, we hear from one of the cover athletes, Alexander Volkanovski.
UFC 5 captures all the sweat, blood and commitment that it takes to be successful in the Octagon. Trust me, the level of immersion that EA SPORTS has recreated with this game is the ultimate representation of the sport
This is the second reveal from EA Sports in a few days. Earlier this week, we saw the announcement of the rally simulator WRC.