For the joy of all the basement dwellers (as in Isaac’s basement) out there, Edmund McMillen revealed the world the first details about the new content that is going to be introduced to The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth with its first DLC who goes by the name of Afterbirth.
The blog update doesn’t give many details specifically about the new features that will be implemented, but it gives an idea of the sheer size of the DLC. And it looks pretty damn huge. McMillen said that could easily extend the gameplay time by 100-200 hours.
Let’s give it a look:
– 100+ new items
– a full new game mode that will totally change how you play
– 10 new challenges
– a new playable character
– a new alternate final chapter
– new alt floors
– new game endings
– new final bosses
– tons of new bosses and enemies
– new item pickups, cards, pills, etc.
– tons of new achievements and rewards for beating the game on hard
– new co-op babies
– new transformations
– and more… 😐
As you can see, the DLC will include many new things that fans were waiting expectantly (new items, enemies, transformations) as well with some things that may come unexpected. Most of all that “Full new game mode that will totally change how you play” piqued the interest of many, including us here at TechRaptor.
Edmund makes use heavily of gamers’ feedback on his decisions on how to make Binding of Isaac better and better. For example, he asked in the past the Isaac community to list a few challenges that they would like to see in the game. Then he chose his favourite 9 and listed them on his dev blog. Bear in mind that there’s no guarantee that these challenges will be among the 10 new ones of Afterbirth.
1. a XXXL room challenge: all floors are XL but have the max amount of rooms per XL floor.
2. High Speed!: the game plays at x2 speed
3. Sonic: all doors are arcade doors, start with 99 coins all enemies have greed shot effect (cause you to drop/loose coins) you die at 0 coins.
4. Max hearts : a challenge where you start with max heart containers but hearts no longer drop.
5. High Rule: start with moms knife + trinity shield + boomerang
6. Rollers: each time you complete a room all of your items and stats are rerolled (item pools arent depleted)
7. BRAINS! : start with 3-4 bobs brains, blindfolded (no tears)
8. Blue Bomber: blue baby run with kamikaze + flying + new dlc item + pyromaniac, Blindfolded (no tears)
9. all start boss rush: a challenge where you fight all the games bosses
Looks that there will be no shortage of things to do in The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth – Afterbirth. We’ll see in the near future if it will be able to deliver to the expectations of the community and if it will be able to address the (arguably very few) shortcomings of the base game, like the hard mode that doesn’t feel that different from the normal mode.
Afterbirth will come out later this year “hopefully around the middle” says McMillen.
Are you a fan of The Binding of Isaac? Are you waiting for the upcoming Rebirth DLC? What would you like to see in it? Let us know in the comments.More About This Game