Piranha Games just announced a brand new game of the MechWarrior franchise, MechWarrior 5: Clans.
The game was teased all the way back in January, and we did know that an announcement was coming around September, so here we are.
If you're wondering, this is not a DLC or expansion of MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, but a full-fledged new game coming in 2024 for PC, PlayStation, and Xbox.
There is no information about the specific consoles, so we don't know whether the game will be cross-generation or not, for now.
The most relevant difference with Mercenaries is the fact that Clans will feature a linear, story-driven campaign as opposed to a sandbox, open-ended campaign.
The story is set during the Clan Invasion starting in 3050 and places the player in the role of a member of Clan Smoke Jaguar.
The campaign takes place over a variety of planets with many different biomes, and it features a five-mech squad (known as "Star") of rookies who just completed their training on planet Huntress just before the beginning of the Clan Wars.
Of course, the advanced Clan Tech that will be familiar to fans of the storied mecha franchise will play a pivotal role.
You can see a teaser trailer below.
If you're unfamiliar with the MechWarrior franchise, it's a series of video games that debuted in 1989, titled like the pen & paper RPG first published in 1986.
They're part of the BattleTech universe originally created by FASA Corporation in 1984 and centered on well-known mecha-focused tabletop wargames and several series of novels. It was even portrayed in an animated series in 1994.
Here are the features you can expect from the game:
- The Clan Invasion is here: For the first time since MechWarrior 2 (released in 1995), pilots can immerse themselves in an action packed Clan Invasion story - one of the most epic time periods in the franchise that changed the course of the Inner Sphere’s factions and politics forever. MechWarrior 5: Clans is the absolute perfect entry point into the MechWarrior universe for newcomers, and the game which veteran pilots have been waiting more than 30 years to play.
- This Isn’t Run-and-Gun, This is MechWarrior: Celebrated core MechWarrior combat returns in MechWarrior 5: Clans. Pilots must strategically plan and execute Star-based team assaults if they are going to bring honor to Clan Smoke Jaguar while advancing their position within the Inner Sphere.
- Customizable Mechs: Victory starts in your Mech Lab with an expanded collection of technologically advanced Clan weapon systems, equipment and Upgrades. Clan Mech's superior technology grants you the ability to swap out larger parts for greater customization and functionality ahead of assaults. Plan accordingly based on terrain, structure, and biome specificity for the best chance at victory.
- All-Star Strategy: Your squadron (aka your Star) is depending on you. Protect the members of your Star in battle, deepening your bond as you engage the Inner Sphere’s determined defenders. Immerse yourself in the story as you lead your Star through the complex missions and thrilling combat.
- Stunning Visual Design: Harnessing the power of Unreal Engine, MechWarrior 5: Clans abounds in environmental detail and destruction - from precisely designed confined cityscapes to bogs spanning incredible distances, battles will take shape on breathtaking landscapes and the complex infrastructure of the Inner Sphere.