This week, Nintendo updated Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with its second patch. While the first patch in May focused more on minor updates, this patch focused more on balancing competition.
If you have found yourself getting smoked online, help is now in store. Players that are lagging behind in online matches will now have a higher chance at getting items geared toward catching up. In addition, matches will no longer be filled with Piranha Plants as only two plants can now be carried on the map at the same time.
If you have the Olimar Amiibo or you plan on picking up the new adorable figure that is launching with Hey! Pikmin on July 29, make sure you tap it on your Switch. The update added a new Pikmin suit for your Mii driver.
Here is the full list of changes included with Update 1.2:
- Players can use Pikmin-themed amiibo to unlock a Pikmin Suit for the Mii driver.
- Race rules and course name are now displayed on loading screens for online and wireless play, as well as Mario Kart TV.
- Players who are behind in online matches will receive items geared toward catching up more frequently.
- In online matches, no more than two Piranha Plants will be granted as items at the same time.
- Controls are no longer unresponsive when the timer runs out when choosing a Mii racing suit for online matches.
- When a player uses an item right after the Super Horn in online matches, that item will now remain available for other players.
- Item wheel no longer spins continuously in online matches.
- Online matches now end as intended 30 seconds after the first place racer finishes.
- The Boomerang now returns to the first slot, if possible, after a player catches it.
- Items shown in a player’s item slots now display correctly when holding an item behind them.
- No longer possible to use an item after it has been used to block an attack.
- Communication errors no longer occur frequently while spectating or after spectating online matches.
If you haven't yet, make sure you check out Andrew's Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review to find out what he thought of Nintendo's racer.
What do you think of the changes made to MK8 Deluxe? Do you agree with better items for those near the back of the pack? Let us know in the comments below!