Classic vertically-scrolling shooter Psyvariar has been given a release window in Western territories for Nintendo Switch and PS4.
Retitled Psyvariar Delta and boasting new modes and features, the game will be coming to Switch and PS4 this summer. This will be the first time Psyvariar has been released officially outside of Japan; the game was originally available on arcade machines in 2000, then subsequently ported to the PS2.
News of Psyvariar Delta's release window came via a press release, given by California-based publisher Dispatch Games. This will be the company's third arcade remake for Switch, after Penguin Wars and Soldam: Drop, Connect, Erase.
The press release given by Dispatch Games outlined some of the history of Psyvariar, as well as the release window and some of the new features newcomers and returning players alike can expect. Dispatch Games also released a trailer for Psyvariar Delta, which you can check out here:
The trailer shows off Psyvariar Delta's high-octane action and vertical perspective, as well as the newly redesigned UI, one of the three new features players can expect from Psyvariar Delta. Here's a quick rundown of everything that's been added to this new version:
- 2 new modes: players can challenge stages again using their own custom plane and weapon setup in Replay Mode+, as well as aiming for the high score in Score Attack
- Online leaderboards: fully-featured online leaderboards will be available for players to compare their scores
- Redesigned UI: a new user interface displays crucial information like boss health, Ex levels, invincibility time and more
- New planes (DLC): DLC will be available for the game which adds all-new planes and weapons, allowing players to experience levels again in new ways
- Updated visuals: in line with current-gen visual standards, the game will receive a graphical makeover
There's no word yet on pricing for Psyvariar Delta, but it's early days yet. The game will release in summer 2018 for PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch, via both platforms' digital distribution systems (PlayStation Store and Nintendo eShop).
Looking forward to some classic shmup action? Will you be getting this one on PS4 or Switch? Let us know in the comments below!