Halo 3 was released on September 25th, 2007. The end of Bungie’s original trilogy of games saw Halo‘s first steps onto the Xbox 360 with a refined sequel that took everything that was new in Halo 2 and brought it to the next level. Ten years later, those who are still dedicated to the house that Master Chief built are celebrating with livestreams facilitated by the Halo franchise’s recent appearance on Xbox One’s backward compatibility system. Current franchise custodians 343 Industries weren’t going to miss the party, and have released a new update to Halo 5: Guardians which brings some Halo 3-style gameplay to matchmaking.
Working with the amazing community of Forge mapmakers, 343 has handpicked remakes of seven classic maps. You’ll be rediscovering all the hits, including Guardian, Snowbound, The Pit, Citadel, Isolation, High Ground and Ghost Town.
Of course, Halo 5: Guardians is a much different game than Halo 3, so changes had to be made in order to replicate the older experience. Players will be stripped of their sprinting and boosting, and you’ll start each match with an Assault Rifle secondary alongside a Battle Rifle fitted with a Classic scope. Straight from the update, here’s what the team has done to bring back the nostalgic memories.
- Motion Tracker range is increased to 25m
- All Spartan Abilities are disabled (Sprint, Ground Pound, Spartan Charge, Stabilize, and Clamber)
- Player jump height is increased
- Slightly increased the effect of gravity on players
- Player movement speed decreased
- Increased player forward and strafe acceleration
- Adjusted shield and health recharge rate to approximate Halo 3 values
- Classic Team Oddball: Reduced ball carrier movement speed
- Classic Multi-Flag CTF: Reduced flag carrier movement speed
The Halo 3 Classic Throwback playlist has launched in Arena matchmaking, and it’s unknown how long it will be active. In any case, you can expect at least a week of wondering where the Bubble Shield went before 343 changes things up again.
Are you excited to try out the latest community remakes in Halo 5 Guardians? Curious about Halo’s future on such a monumental anniversary? Give us your thoughts in the comments below, and watch out for that turret on High Ground. That thing is a pain.