When it comes to TTRPGs, the community can seem impenetrable from the outside. Despite the industry taking steps towards inclusiveness, the simple act of walking into a game store and sitting at a table with strangers to roll dice can be a lot to ask. But, if you live in the United States, June 25 is Free RPG Day 2022. Here is what you can experience by attending.
What Is Free RPG Day 2022?
Free RPG Day 2022 is a promotional event. TTRPG developers and publishers partner with local retail stores to release exclusive adventures, previews, and accessories, for free. If you and a group of friends wanted to see what it is to play in a TTRPG, simply go to one of your participating retailers, pick up an adventure that looks interesting, sit down, read the rules, then play. As the name implies, these materials are free while supplies last, no purchase of any kind required.
As for what kind of TTRPGs will be showcased during Free RPG Day 2022, official material from the program's website as well as some promotional images from local game stores have revealed what players can look forward to. These include major TTRPG companies like Paizo Publishing with one-shots for both their fantasy RPG Pathfinder and sci-fi RPG, Starfinder, Renegade Game Studios with a Power Rangers TTRPG adventure, R. Talsorian Games with Cyberpunk Red Easy Mode, Magpie Games' adventure for Root: The Roleplaying Game, and Modiphius Entertainment's Homeworld Revelations, a TTRPG adaptation of the beloved strategy game.
In addition, Free RPG Day 2022 will include other RPGs, goodies and accessories for players to enjoy. They are as follows:
- Level 1: The Indie RPG Anthology by 9th Level Games: A collection of rules-light RPGs that you and you friends can make and create within minutes
- A Familiar Problem by Darrington Press: Co-created by Critical Role's Marisha Ray and Honey Heist creator Grant Howitt, it's an RPG where you play as the magical animal companions of an adventuring party.
- Rolled and Told Volume 1 by Lion Forge Games and Oni Press: A collection of adventurers compatible with Dungeons and Dragons 5e combined with comic book adventure serials.
- Dungeon Crawl Classics: Danger in the Air by Goodman Games: This is an adventure with a throwback ruleset meant to invoke the earlier days of Dungeons and Dragons, emphasizing exploration and danger. If you're familiar with a modern d20 system, you can play this.
- Iron Kingdoms: A Strange Light Breaks by Privateer Press: A short adventure set in the world of the Iron Kingdoms, a Full Metal Fantasy world where your group take on the role of paranormal investigators confronting horrific sights.
- Epic Encounters: Chasm of the Duergar Cult by Steamforged Games: A Dungeons and Dragons 5e adventure where your group attempts to stop an evil ritual being conducted by Duergar.
- Curse of the Dread Marsh Crew by Loke Battle Mats: A Dungeons and Dragons 5e adventure, complete with maps, tokens, and pregenerated character sheets.
- How To Raise The Dead by Dave Taylor Miniatures: A bundle on how to paint spooky terrain for your miniatures game. Each bundle contains a How-To-Paint booklet, a mausoleum terrain crate by Mantic Games, and cemetary gate terrain.
- A Limited Edition Harengon Paint Kit by Wizkids: This is a kit where you will get your own D&D Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures Harengon, 8 Vallejo paint colors, two brushes, and a water pot.
- Final Race Dice Set by Q Workshop: A set of novelty dice where you and another player roll off to see who wins a street race to the death.
Please note that all of these booklets and accessories are first come first serve, so if any of this looks interesting to you, start making plans now.
Will Free RPG Day 2022 Happen Outside of the United States?
While June 25 will be Free RPG Day for those living in the United States, it will be some time before this event comes to the rest of the world. According to the Free RPG Day website, due to logistical challenges, this event will be coming to local retailers on July 23rd.