Dawn Of A New War
Games Workshop has announced the next edition of the hugely popular wargame, Warhammer 40,000. Currently, in its 8th edition, the next iteration is looking to see some big changes to the core of the game.
The Warhammer Community team took to their Twitch channel today to announce the new edition of the game, starting with an impressive trailer that sees the 3 forces at the heart of the new edition in combat together. The brand new Warhammer 40,000 website has the Space Marines, Sisters of Battle and Necrons listed as Featured Factions, so it's clear they will be the centre of 40K 9th Ed.
Some new troops were also announced, including the Assault Intercessor, who brings chainswords back to the Primaris Marines, a weapon previously unavailable to them. Some brand new Necron Warriors were also teased, with some suggested upgrades.
Details on the new edition are light, but Games Workshop has made some statements, the most important being that the current Codex's, the individual faction rulebooks, along with the Psychic Awakening books, a series of narrative rulebooks, will all be valid in the new edition. In a video detailing 9 great things about 40k 9th Edition the following changes were listed:
- Polished to perfection - The focus has been on making the new edition as playable as possible
- Most immersive system for narrative play ever - A new crusade system will link games and allow your units to upgrade and grow in an ongoing campaign
- Start with more command points - CPs allow you to use faction abilities in-game, and you'll get more of them to use more abilities
- Tank are back on track - Tanks will be able to fire in close combat, which they can't in the current edition, which allowed cheap troops to lock up vehicles
- Terrain has been rebuilt, from the ground up - New terrain rules are coming, making them more immersive to the experience
- Battles of every size of game - A suggestion of balancing at lower and higher points values, letting you play games between a couple of units, to massive full collection deployments
- Be strategic with your reserves - Strategic reserve rules are changing, allowing you to deploy from a larger range of variables
- Have a blast - New explosive weapons that deal maximum hits are coming
- Freedom of the skies - New rules for flyers to make them feel more like aircraft in-game
There will also be a brand new app with the new edition. It's been stated to be the most comprehensive digital support for any of Games Workshops games and will include and army builder and rules.
Games Workshop have released an Q&A about the new edition, where they address the most pressing concerns of their players and there is going to be a live Q&A with the studio team at 19:00 BST on Tuesday 26 May on the Warhammer Twitch channel.
Things are looking great for the new edition of Warhammer 40,000 and if you haven't played before, 9th Edition will be a great time to start.