Bad news for tabletop fans and Tolkien fans alike: The One Ring Second Edition Tabletop RPG has been canceled by Cubicle Seven, and they're also going to cease publishing The One Ring and Adventures in Middle Earth.
The One Ring Second Edition Tabletop RPG was first announced back in May of 2019 as part of The Lord of the Rings product line by Cubicle Seven. Here are the Cubicle Seven releases that players were previously looking forward to:
- The One Ring – The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying Game: The 352 page core rules featuring stunning new art, maps, rules for character creation, and everything you will need to adventure in the lands of Middle-earth
- The One Ring – The Lord of the Rings Starter Set: Explore the Misty Mountains and reclaim the Horn of the Storm in the perfect introduction to The One Ring Roleplaying Game. This box set includes a 64 page adventure, a 48 page guide to the lands of the Misty Mountains, a set of dice, six pre-generated characters, character handouts, tokens, and more.
- Loremaster’s Screen and Legends of Middle-earth: A beautifully illustrated Loremaster’s Screen along with a 32 page collection of mini adventures that Loremaster’s can drop into their games.
- Fell Foes: A dedicated bestiary containing fell foes and dangerous creatures from all across Middle-earth.
- Minas Tirith – The Tower of Guard: A guide to the city of Minas Tirith and its surrounding lands.
- The Errantries of the King: A campaign adventure set in Gondor. Written by Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan, author of The Darkening of Mirkwood.
- Moria – The Long Dark: Explore Khazad-dûm deep beneath the Misty Mountains in this long awaited adventure for The One Ring – The Lord of the Rings™ Roleplaying Game.
The company had been publishing games set in the Tolkien universe for nearly a decade, but it seems that they won't be able to continue on with their efforts due to an unfortunate contractual issue.
Why was The One Ring Second Edition Tabletop RPG Canceled?
A blog post on the official Cubicle Seven website has regrettably announced that they are not going to be able to release The One Ring Second Edition Tabletop RPG and that they are effectively ending production of all of their Tolkien products.
"We have some very unfortunate and unexpected news to share," the blog post stated. "Contractual differences arose recently which we have been unable to resolve, and so we have decided to end our licensing agreement with Sophisticated Games. It is with regret that we have made this very tough decision to withdraw."
"This means we will cease publishing The One Ring and Adventures in Middle-earth™ in the first half of 2020. Unfortunately, this doesn’t give us enough time to release the much-anticipated The One Ring – The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying Game second edition."
This is sure to come as a blow to fans who were looking forward to having some adventures in the beautiful world of Middle Earth. While it certainly won't be the end of tabletop games in The Lord of the Rings universe, it will be the end of Cubicle Seven's involvement with making them. If you are wanting to pick up the first edition of The One Ring or other creations they did, they are all on sale on the Cubicle Seven webstore for Black Friday.
What do you think of The One Ring Second Edition Tabletop RPG being canceled? Are you upset that you won't be able to get your hands on this game? Let us know in the comments below!