Back in September, we reported on the announcement of an official Monty Python TTRPG. Lead designers Brian Saliba and Craig Schaffer have done interviews about how they plan to adapt the distinctly irreverent and zany comedy of the Monty Python comedy group into a rules-lite tabletop experience. Now, the Monty Python TTRPG Kickstarter campaign has gone live. Within an hour, it was fully funded.
The Monty Python TTRPG Kickstarter
According to the official Monty Python TTRPG Kickstarter campaign page, the is loosely set in medieval times, but packed with ideas across the comedy group's entire film and TV history. If you are not familiar with the works of Monty Python, you can still enjoy the game and not be completely lost. The campaign page goes into detail about the game's rules such as the Serious-Silly dice continuum, a chart that swings back and forth based on the actions and traits of serious characters, different personalities the GM is encouraged to switch between to keep things interesting, as well as Merit and Demerit tokens given out for when things get too silly or serious. There's even a brief paragraph on a Backgammon-style minigame, Fetchez la Vache, which involves dice catapults, meeples, and rude French people.
When the Monty Python TTRPG Kickstarter went live, it had a funding goal of $200,000. At the time of writing it has raised $500,949, more than double its goal. This is due in part to the campaign's different backer tiers which are as follows:
- Bloody Peasant for $25: This gets you a PDF of the core rulebook
- Sensible Middle Class for $65: This gets you a PDF, a standard hardcover edition of the book, and a set of custom dice
- Public School Bundle for $95: This gets you a PDF, a set of custom dice, and a Kickstarter-exclusive hardcover copy of the book
- Less Sensible Middle Class Bundle for $110: This gets you everything in the Sensible Middle Class tier as well as a GM Screen, and a set of Merit and Demerit tokens
- In My Day Bundle for $140: You get everything in the Public School Bundle as well as a GM Screen, and a set of Merit and Demerit tokens
- Not At All Sensible Middle Class Bundle for $220: This gets you everything in the Less Sensible Middle Class bundle as well as a copy of the Fetchez la Vache minigame
- Upper Class Twit Bundle for $250: This gets you everything in the In My Day Bundle as well as a copy of the Fetchez la Vache minigame.
Furthermore, there are some stretch goals and limited-time promotional items. If you back the game before 10:00 AM ET on October 21, all backers will receive an exclusive Head of Light Entertainment sash for your GMs to wear at your table. As for the stretch goals, they include some on-brand jokes, hitting $200,001 means the book will be on paper instead of stone tablets for example, as well as some additional content. As of right now, that content includes new creatures for the Bestiary, more NPCs, brand new personalities for the GM, additional Merit and Demerit tokens, as well as additional prewritten adventures. But there's still plenty of incentive for backers like nesting boxes for custom dice sets, additional cardboard accessories for Fetchez la Vache, as well as new pop-ups and accessories for the GM screen.
The Monty Python TTRPG Kickstarter also addresses shipping concerns. The campaign does confirm it will have UK and EU friendly shipping, and provides estimates for shipping costs across various regions. The campaign managers will collect these shipping fees once the BackerKit pledge manager survey has been completed. However, the campaign does state that these fees are estimates and are subject to change. Given the size of some of the materials in these backer tiers as well as the uncertain nature of freight shipping across the world, please take this into account before you back this campaign.
The Monty Python TTRPG Kickstarter will conclude November 18. All of its products are expected to ship out to backers on October 2023.