It seems just like yesterday that we were covering spoilers for the latest Magic: The Gathering set from Wizards of the Coast, Aether Revolt, yet here we are with another set just a few weeks away from being released. Unlike Aether Revolt, which primarily features new cards, mechanics, and settings, this set is the third iteration of a reprint compilation product line called Modern Masters, which aims at putting cards legal to the Modern format into players hands.
The first four spoilers for the day are from a variety of source, including Wizards of the Coast, Tolarian Community College, and Japanese storefront bigmagic.
- Damnation: Two generic and two black mana, Sorcery. Destroy all creatures, they can't be regenerated.
- Goblin Guide: One red mana, 2/2 Goblin Scout creature, Haste. Whenever Goblin Guide attacks, defending player reveals the top card of their library; if it's a land card, they put it into their hand.
- Stoic Angel: One generic, one green, one white and one blue mana, 3/4 Angel, Flying and Vigilance. Players can't untap more than one creature during their untap steps.
- Restoration Angel: Three generic and one white mana, 3/4 Angel, Flash and Flying. When Restoration Angel enters the battlefield, you may exile target non-Angel creature you control, then return that card to the battlefield under your control.
There will also be a number of lands present in the set for the sole purpose of color-fixing during Limited Drafts; this includes Shards of Alara's tri-lands, and the guildgates from the Return to Ravnica block.
Finally, a few cards were previewed after this article was initially posted; these spoilers come from the Magic: The Gathering Facebook page, Wizards of the Coast employee Trick Jarett, and the English Wizards of the Coast Twitter page and Japanese Magic: The Gathering Twitter page.
- Domri Rade: One generic, one red, one green mana, Planeswalker with starting loyalty of three. +1: Look at the top card of your library. If it's a creature card, you may reveal it and put it into your hand. −2: Target creature you control fights another target creature. −7: You get an emblem with "Creatures you control have double strike, trample, hexproof, and haste."
- Goblin Assault: Two generic, one red mana, Enchantment. At the beginning of your upkeep, create a 1/1 red Goblin creature token with haste. Goblin creatures attack each turn if able.
- Vanish into Memory: Two generic, one white, one blue mana, Instant. Exile target creature. You draw cards equal to that creature's power. At the beginning of your next upkeep, return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control. If you do, discard cards equal to that creature's toughness.
- Terminate: One black, one red mana, Instant. Destroy target creature, it can't be regenerated.
Modern Masters 2017 is set for release on March 17, 2017, with the digital release for Magic : The Gathering Online coming on March 23, 2017.
Stay tuned to TechRaptor for more news on Modern Masters 2017 and all things Magic: The Gathering.
Quick TakeToday is leading off very strongly with reprints for this set. Damnation has been one of the most requested reprints in recent years, to the point that asking if Damnation was reprinted was a running joke in the community. It's good to finally see it reprinted, but it does worry me about Standard-legal sets moving forward. Wizards of the Coast has shown on several occasions that it's hesitant on reprinting strong Magic: The Gathering cards in Standard, and I fear that seeing Damnation and the Zendikar fetch lands in Modern Masters 2017 is the nail in the coffin for ever seeing powerful reprints in Standard-legal sets again.
What are your thoughts on today's spoilers? Let us know in the comment section below.