Cubicle 7 has just announced that they're releasing a new, second edition of their Lord of the Rings tabletop RPG, The One Ring. Previously titled The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild, the game line will now officially take on the mantle of its source material, with the second edition going by The One Ring – The Lord of the Rings™ Roleplaying Game.
Set to release between Q4 2019 and Q1 2020, the new rules will be more streamlined thanks to the help of seven years of feedback from the robust One Ring playing community. The new line will also feature new art, maps drawn by professional cartographer Jared Blando, and original designer Francesco Nepitello handling the updated mechanics.
The game takes place 25 years after the defeat of Smaug, and players can choose from 11 Cultures and 6 Callings to help them protect against the growing shadow in the East.
The new line of games will start with the core rulebook and the starter set, but Cubicle 7 has already outlined a majority of their upcoming releases for the game. As quoted in their press release, upcoming releases include:
- The One Ring – The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying Game: The 352 page core rules featuring stunning new art, maps, rules for character creation, and everything you will need to adventure in the lands of Middle-earth.
- The One Ring – The Lord of the Rings Starter Set: Explore the Misty Mountains and reclaim the Horn of the Storm in the perfect introduction to The One Ring Roleplaying Game. This box set includes a 64 page adventure, a 48 page guide to the lands of the Misty Mountains, a set of dice, six pre-generated characters, character handouts, tokens, and more.
- Loremaster’s Screen and Legends of Middle-earth: A beautifully illustrated Loremaster’s Screen along with a 32 page collection of mini adventures that Loremaster’s can drop into their games.
- Fell Foes: A dedicated bestiary containing fell foes and dangerous creatures from all across Middle-earth.
- Minas Tirith – The Tower of Guard: A guide to the city of Minas Tirith and its surrounding lands.
- The Errantries of the King: A campaign adventure set in Gondor. Written by Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan, author of The Darkening of Mirkwood.
- Moria – The Long Dark: Explore Khazad-dûm deep beneath the Misty Mountains in this long awaited adventure for The One Ring – The Lord of the Rings™ Roleplaying Game.
Have you played The One Ring before? What are your thoughts on the system? Let us know in the comments!