Titanfall 2's first patch, which adds in the returning Angel City map as well as some new content and bug fixes, released today at 4PM PST and the map is now playable for those who preordered the game. This comes on the back of the announcement of a free limited-time trial of the game's multiplayer mode which will be available to all platforms. You can see the gameplay trailer for the Angel City map below.
The announcement of Titanfall 2's free multiplayer trial came directly from a post by developer Respawn on the Titanfall 2 official forum. The trial starts today for EA Access and Origins members and will be available to all Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Origin users on the 2nd of December. The trial will include the full multiplayer content from the game and will include the Angel City content from the 3rd of December, progress will also carry over for those who decide to purchase the full game after the trial.
The update, dubbed Angel City's Most Wanted, rolls out today from 4PM PST for those who pre-ordered the game to get early access. This isn't the only way to play the game early; those who have early access are able to invite others on their Network, whether or not they pre-ordered. For those of you who might not know 'Networks' are a social feature for Titanfall 2 that allow players to group based on location, interests, or whatever they want really, they allow easy chat and grant extra experience to members of the network playing during it's designated 'happy hour.'
As well as the new map, the update adds a designated playlist to play the new map only in a variety of modes. We've highlighted the other major additions for you in more detail below.
- New Titan Kits:
- RONIN: Phase Reflex - When doomed, Ronin phases out of danger.
- NORTHSTAR: Threat Optics - Enemies are highlighted while zooming in.
- SCORCH: Scorched Earth - Flame Core ignites the ground, leaving thermite in its wake.
- LEGION: Hidden Compartment - Power Shot has two charges
- TONE: Burst Loader - Aiming allows the 40mm to store up to 3 shots to burst fire.
- ION: Refraction Lens - Splitter Rifle splits 5 ways.
- New Weapon "Wingman Elite" pistol
- New Pilot Execution "Inner Pieces"
- Added FOV slider to console, increased FOV maximum to 110 on all platforms.
- PS4 streaming for Networks: PS4 users who are streaming will have a new icon next to them, other users can hit a button to view the stream.
- Better mod tools for Networks: Mods can now mute people for the whole room and change the room voice mode to be mods-only.
- Added a new in-game store to purchase Prime Titans, Titan Art Packs, Callsign Pack, and Camo Pack. Please note, all purchasable items are cosmetic only and do not affect game balance.
- FAQ added to Multiplayer lobby - includes in-game patch notes!
- PC Only - Removed "Insane" texture quality and replaced with "Max". No reduction in visual quality for those with enough VRAM, but will reduce hitches when streaming in textures.
- Increased likelihood of finding Nessie easter egg in [redacted] mission that no one has found yet. Or did we?
- Multiplayer Stats menu added to view player stats history. Please note that stats have been tracked since day 1.
Titanfall 2 effortlessly improves on the original release's deep multiplayer gameplay and adds in a memorable single player campaign that stands out from the pack. All that and a bundle of explosive ninja stars make this a must play FPS.The update marks the first of the promised free DLC releases for Titanfall 2. Respawn have previously said that all maps and modes will be free to all players though this does not exclude the possibility of paid DLC for a single player expansion and, of course, the cosmetic microtransactions which have been added with this update and will continue to be added to in future updates.
Will you be checking out Titanfall 2's free multiplayer demo? Have you played Angel City yet, what do you think of the new map? Let us know your thoughts on the patch, the demo, or just tell us how much you love giant robots in the comments below.