The Spellbreak Roadmap has been revealed by Proletariat as the first of what will hopefully be many quarterly posts. These roadmap updates will fill players in on what they can expect for the future of this magical Battle Royale game.
Spellbreak is a rarity in the world of Battle Royale games in that it's managed to have a successful launch. It managed to rack up an impressive 2 million players in its first five days, and now the developers are letting us know what's coming down the pipeline.
It should be noted, however, that this roadmap won't cover absolutely everything. The developers note that it's not going to include bugfixes or smaller features. Lots of tiny things like this are in development, but they're not going to be getting a mention here.
What Does the Spellbreak Roadmap Show for the Future?
The Spellbreak Roadmap splits goals into "Short Term", "Mid-term", and "Long-term" goals. It's a little vague, but it's probably a good idea for properly setting player expectations.
Here's a quick rundown for what to expect for the future of Spellbreak:
The "Very Short-Term" goals are going to be met this week.
- The store schedule should update much more frequently following the completion of successful tests.
- The developers will be hosting a Reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything) session on the /r/games subreddit on Friday, September 18, 2020, at 5:00 PM EDT.
The short-term goals should be met within 1 month or less.
- Patch 1.1 will fix post-launch bugs, a few quality-of-life features, and some other small updates.
- Shadowstep and Chronomaster runes will roll out.
- Shadowstep allows for a short-range dash with invisibility.
- Chronomaster lets you "rewind" your health, armor, and position to an earlier state, somewhat similar to Tracer's "Recall" ability in Overwatch.
The mid-term goals should take 1–3 months.
- First major patch
- Introduces the "Prologue" of the story.
- The beginnings of the "Chapter system" where players can get a bit of story and earn some cosmetics.
- 9v9 "Clash" deathmatch mode gets launched.
- "Holloween" event.
- Three new 3-point talents.
- New and reworked Consumables
- "Chapter 1" patch
- The second major patch will "kick the story off in earnest," introducing you to the Order of the Vowbreakers.
The long-term goals are 3+ months out. Many of these goals are in "very early stages" of development.
- More gauntlets, classes, elements, and runes
- Ranked/Competitive modes
- Limited-time modes
And that's it for the Spellbreak Roadmap! Proletariat has certainly built up a fair bit of momentum in its first week, but keeping that momentum going is going to require that the devs keep up a good pace of releasing new content.
If you've had a hankering to play a new Battle Royale, it may be worth giving this new game a look! You can play Spellbreak for free on PC via the Epic Games Store and console players can also play for free on the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch via their respective storefronts.
Disclosure: Epic Games Store works with TechRaptor for affiliate partnership, and TechRaptor earns a small commission off purchases made from some links in this article.
What do you think of the Spelllbreak Roadmap? Are you confident that Proletariat can deliver on its promises? Let us know in the comments below!