Skull & Bones Managing Director Removed Under Mysterious Circumstances

Published: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 - 13:42 | By: Robert N. Adams
'Impossible for Him to Continue in This Position,' Ubisoft Says

Skull & Bones Managing Director Hugues Ricour has been removed from his position at Ubisoft Singapore following a "leadership audit" under mysterious circumstances.

If you're unfamiliar with Skull & Bones, well... I wouldn't be surprised. The game was first announced way back at E3 2017 and made a second appearance at the following year's show. Since then, however, things have been relatively quiet, and rumors of a reboot in the works have signaled a potentially troubled development. Now, it seems that the situation at Ubisoft Singapore may have been more troublesome than previously thought.

 
 

Skull & Bones Managing Director removed slice

Why Was Skull & Bones Managing Director Hugues Ricour Removed?

The immediate question that comes to mind is why Skull & Bones Managing Director Hugues Ricour was removed from his position. The answer, however, is proving elusive.

"Effective immediately, Hugues Ricour is no longer Managing Director of Ubisoft Singapore," Ubisoft's Chief Studios Operating Officer Virginie Haas told Kotaku."The results of the leadership audit that was conducted in the last few weeks by our external partners makes it impossible for him to continue in this position."

No specific reason for Ricour's departure was given by Ubisoft. This may be related to the wave of executive departures at the company following allegations of harassment and inappropriate behavior; Beyond Good and Evil 2 was one of the games reportedly facing these troubles. Ubisoft later apologized for the situation at the opening of an Ubisoft Forward event earlier this year.

It should be clear, however, that his departure is not necessarily related to the harassment allegations at the company from earlier this year. It's entirely possible that it may be related to issues with the game's development or something else entirely.

Unfortunately, Ubisoft appears unwilling to comment any further on the issue and Hugues Ricour has not yet released a public statement. Ricour will continue to work at the company at an office other than Ubisoft Singapore.

What do you think of how Ubisoft handled the allegations against executives at its company? Do you think we'll see Skull & Bones released anytime soon? Let us know in the comments below!


Share On:

More Gaming Articles

Featured Video (All Videos)

 

A photograph of Robert N Adams
Senior Writer

I've had a controller in my hand since I was 4 and I haven't stopped gaming since. CCGs, Tabletop Games, Pen & Paper RPGs - I've tried a whole bunch of stuff over the years and I'm always looking to try more!