Today Paradox Interactive fully revealed Life by You, a new simulation game that was teased a few weeks ago.
If you spot similarities with The Sims, that's certainly not just you, and it shouldn't be surprising. The game is developed by Tectonic studio with Rod Humble at the helm. Humble is known for his relevant role in The Sims franchise and Second Life.
The game will hit early access on Steam and the Epic Games Store for PC on September 12. At the moment, no other platforms have been announced.
Below you can take a look at a trailer and read a set of official features promised via a press release by Paradox itself. You can also watch the announcement presentation with more details and gameplay.
- Play in an open world: Live life with no loading screens. Strike up real-language conversations. Drive or bike to the countryside. Discover and complete quests to unlock new experiences.
- Expand your creativity: Make your own in-game content through mods. Utilize a variety of deep Creator Tools. Change the gameplay anytime. Life is yours to make.
- Take direct control: Drag and drop your humans into their place - or drive them directly in third-person mode. Live the life of one or tell the stories of many. Climb a career ladder. Fall in love. Raise a family.
- Tell stories through conversations: Every real-language conversation is generated based on your human’s unique situation. You can even craft your own conversations in-game.
- Design your own world: Build your humans’ dream homes or businesses from scratch. Furnish them from top to bottom, inside to outside. Drag, demolish, and rearrange entire towns.
- Create fully customized humans: Design your families in the Human Creator, including deep personality and character traits. Style and restyle your humans at any time.
We also hear from Paradox Tectonic general manager Rod Humble himself, promising real language conversation (which is a rather big departure from The Sims) and plenty of freedom of expression thanks to the game's customization tools.
“Life by You evolves the life simulation genre with modern style, real language conversation, and unprecedented freedom of expression. The game’s extensive customization tools allow for unparalleled levels of storytelling, and I can’t wait to see what creations players come up with once they dive into Early Access this summer.”
The press release also included a comment from Paradox CEO Fredrik Wester.
“Paradox Tectonic’s vision for this game fits naturally with our wider philosophy of ‘we create the games, you create the stories’ and we’re eager to see what types of stories players create in this new sandbox. We've taken our community to space, back in time, and around the world. Life by You brings us closer to our own lives, or allows us to explore different fantasy realities. We're thrilled to be entering the life sim genre."