The Overwatch Sigma PTR patch is now live, allowing players their first opportunity to get hands-on with the newest Main Tank to join the cast of Blizzard's premier first-person shooter. This brand-new Hero utilizes a variety of terrifying gravitic abilities to defend his team, absorb projectiles, and generally smack around the enemy team.
Sigma was first officially revealed yesterday. Speculation about the new Hero's abilities continued as one might expect, but Blizzard got out a new Developer Update less than a day later. This Developer Update highlights Sigma's backstory and abilities.
Sigma AbilitiesSigma seems like he's going to be filling the role of a Main Tank with his abilities. At the minimum, he's definitely a barrier tank — and he can move his barrier at will.
Here's a short breakdown of his abilities:
- Hyperspheres (Primary Weapon)
- A pair of gravitic charges that bounce off of walls and implode after a short time, dealing damage to enemies caught in the radius.
- Experimental Barrier
- Sigma launches a barrier similar to Symmetra's old Photon Barrier. Pressing the button a second time freezes the barrier in place. Pressing the button once more dismisses the barrier and allows it to be fired again. The barrier can be fired in any direction.
- Kinetic Grasp
- Sigma catches projectiles in midair and converts them into shields.
- Sigma grabs up a bunch of rock and yeets it at the enemy team, causing knockdown.
- Gravitic Flux (Ultimate)
- Sigma takes flight, raising up all enemies caught in his radius and slamming them down on the ground.
Overwatch Sigma PTR PatchThe Overwatch Sigma PTR Patch has added more than just a new Hero, of course. Several changes to the Role Queue PTR patch have made their way in, fixing a couple of bugs and enabling Role Queue in Quick Play.
Endorsements have been expanded to several other game modes. Previously, you could only Endorse players in Quick Play, Competitive, Lúcioball, and a few other game modes. That has changed on the PTR, and there is a list of new game modes that will use the Endorsement system:
- Mystery Heroes
- No Limits
- Total Mayhem
- Low Grav
- PVE Game Modes (Junkenstein's Revenge, Retribution, Uprising, etc.)
You can read the full details of what's in the Overwatch Sigma PTR patch on BlizzTrack. If you'd like to try out Sigma for yourself, you can check him out by changing your region in the Blizzard Battle.Net Launcher to the Public Test Region.
What do you think of the Overwatch Sigma PTR patch? Do you like the latest Hero's abilities? Let us know in the comments below!