Whew; that title is a mouthful!
If you were around to hear about the "sequel" to 2011's SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked; you'll know that this game has been a long time coming... and although Break Record was announced what seems like ages ago, Atlus has confirmed that the game is ready for an Early 2015 release within North America.
The original version of the game - Devil Survivor 2, sans pleasantries - came out in 2011 for the DS; and for the most part, was met to critical and commercial success. The first games' 3DS remake debuted in the same year - and either due to saturation, or an overall lack of quality - it didn't fair as well. From the looks of things, Record Breaker has even more new content than Overclocked did - so all signs point to this release accomplishing what its predecessor didn't. But enough about my thoughts; Atlus has released a press blurb for the game, which you can find below!
SummaryShin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - Record Breaker is scheduled for a release early next year; interestingly, Atlus has decided on a $49.99 MSRP for the title at both Retail and on the eShop. We'll keep you up to date as more information comes in, but for now...
The world of Record Breaker is on the brink of non-existence. Just before the heralding of the apocalypse, when life was normal, some thrill-seekers were registering on a website that promised to deliver fake videos of their friends being killed. As people wondered what these videos could mean, an invasion began and humanity was forced to face a struggle to survive in an unprecedented catastrophe. For the main character and his friends, they stand up for humanity when the very same website uploads an application on their cell phones, summoning demons. From there, newly minted demon tamers begin the fight to survive and save the future of mankind, but the protagonist’s decisions aren’t without consequences. What he chooses may save the lives of his friends, or seal their fate.
For those who played the original Devil Survivor 2, the new plot expands the story by continuing the game from the ending of the original game. This continuation introduces a new character to the game, Miyako Hotsuin, but her origins are deeply shrouded in mystery. Record Breaker gives players the option of either skipping to the new content right away or playing through the original game first, suiting the needs for all experience levels.
- Tactical Combat with a Side of Demon Fusion - The elements that make the Devil Survivor series great are back and better than ever with robust, turn-based strategic combat. Since the game is part of the Shin Megami Tensei franchise, fusing demons together to form a stronger army is back as a core mechanic!
- Choose Your Own Fate - The line between life and death is razor-thin in Record Breaker. Actions have their consequences, and in the wake of the apocalypse, a wrong choice can result in the permanent death of a character. Multiple endings present the challenge of making all the right choices at the right time.
- Extra Content Atlus is Known For -Record Breaker expands on the original Devil Survivor 2 by nearly doubling the amount of storyline for a total of more than 100 hours of strategic game play and consuming plot, with the additional mystery of Miyako Hotsuin to unravel.
- New Personalities to Discover - For the first time, Devil Survivor 2 is getting fully voiced English story dialogue. The voiced dialogue in both the new content and the original story gives added depth in bringing the game’s characters to life from ominous beginning to dramatic end.
- Enhanced game play -Record Breaker gives player characters new abilities, and the world is chock full of more demons to fuse.
What are your thoughts on the title finally being announced for a North American release? Are you hopeful that it will be a good re-mastering? And, on a side note... what do you guys think about this new $50 price-point that Atlus has adopted for their 3DS releases?