The Playdate Season 1 games have been revealed in the Playdate Update after quite a long wait along with an interesting new accessory for the handheld console. Additionally, the Playdate pre-order window opens next month.
If you haven't heard of the Playdate, it's a pretty interesting handheld console with a hand crank built into the side of it. This new machine will deliver one new game to players per week for each "season," with 24 games in total arriving for Season 1. One of the console's later releases will include a title created by Papers Please and Return of the Obra Dinn developer Lucas Pope.
We learned some more details about the Playdate late last week. The Playdate price will by $179 (up from the original $150) and double the games will be delivered for the first season (24, up from 12) that's included with your purchase. That's not all, though — we also get a list of the Playdate Season 1 games!
What Are the Playdate Season 1 Games?
The Playdate Season 1 games include an interesting mix of indie titles. Unfortunately, today's Playdate Update conference didn't dive too deep into the details of each game, but we did get a list detailing most of the games that are on the way.
Here is a list of 21/24 Playdate Season 1 games from a press release:
- Crankin’s Time Travel Adventure
- Developed by: uvula (Keita Takahashi, Ryan Mohler), Matthew Grimm, and Shaun Inman
- Battleship Godios
- Developed by: TPM . CO SOFT WORKS.
- Boogie Loops
- Developed by: May-Li Khoe and Andy Matuschak.
- Casual Birder
- Developed by: Diego Garcia (he/him). Music and Sound by: Max Coburn (he/him).
- DemonQuest 85
- Developed by: Alex Ashby (he/him), Lawrence Bishop (he/him), Duncan Fyfe (he/him), Belinda Leung (she/her), and Jared Emerson-Johnson (he/him).
- Echoic Memory
- Developed by: Samantha Kalman (she/her), Everest Pipkin (they/them), Carol Mertz (she/her), and Rachelle Viola (she/her).
- Executive Golf DX
- Developed by: davemakes (they/them).
- Flipper Lifter
- Developed by: Serenity Forge.
- Forrest Byrnes: Up in Smoke
- Developed by: Nels Anderson (he/him) and Christina “castpixel” Neofotistou (she/her).
- Hyper Meteor
- Developed by: Vertex Pop (Mobeen Fikree [he/him], Robby Duguay [he/him], and h heron[they/them]).
- Lost Your Marbles
- Developed by: Sweet Baby Inc. & Friends.
- Developed by: Gregory Kogos.
- Pick Pack Pup
- Developed by: Nic Magnier (he/him), Arthur Hamer (he/him). Music by: Logan Gabriel (he/him).
- Questy Chess
- Developed by: Dadako.
- Developed by: Shaun Inman, Matthew Grimm, and Charlie Davis.
- Developed by: Chuck Jordan. Music and Sound by: Jared Emerson-Johnson.
- Developed by: Zach Gage (he/him). Art by: Neven Mrgan (he/him).
- Developed by: Jada Gibbs, Nick Splendorr, Ryan Splendorr, and Tony Ghostbrite. Music by: A Shell in the Pit (Em Halberstadt).
- Developed by: Bennett Foddy (he/him).
- Saturday Edition
- Developed by: Chris Makris. Music by: A Shell in the Pit (Gord McGladdery, Alfonso Salinas).
- Whitewater Wipeout
- Developed by: Chuhai Labs (Giles Goddard [he/him], Mark Lentz [he/him], Peter Traylor [he/him], Hero Liao [he/him], Remy Thor [he/him], Charlie March [he/him], Kensaku Nakata [he/him], Zach Aikman [he/him], Mihoko Terao [she/her], and Kinsey Burke [she/her]).
Additionally, Playdate developer Panic has stated that there will be some "extra surprise games" released in the future, some of which will be developed by Panic themselves.
A pair of accessories have also been shown off. The Playdate Cover will protect your console and can be ordered alongside the Playdate in a bundle for $199; alternatively, the cover can be purchased separately for $29. The Playdate Dock, on the other hand, is a little more involved. This chunky device serves as a dock to charge your console while also doubling as a Bluetooth speaker and a pen holder; no price has been announced for the Playdate dock.
When Do Playdate Pre-Orders Start?
There's one final big piece of information we've learned — Playdate pre-orders will launch sometime in July 2021.
Sadly, Panic did not provide a specific pre-order launch date just yet; you can sign up to get notified when Playdate pre-orders open so you can get your hands on this new console as soon as possible; Panic promises that it will alert customers at least a week in advance. You can learn more about this upcoming handheld at play.date.
If you want to check out more of TechRaptor's E3 2021 and related summer event coverage check out https://techraptor.net/topic/e3-2021
Are you looking forward to the Playdate Season 1 games? What do you think of the Playdate Dock? Let us know in the comments below!