According to an earnings report posted to Nintendo's website, the Nintendo Switch has sold 36.87 million units worldwide as of the end of June 2019. In addition, the report goes on to specify that in a period three months ending on June 30th, the Nintendo Switch sold 2.13 million consoles and 22.61 million games for the console. These numbers were in addition to the 210.13 million games that have been sold for the Switch since its launch in 2017. For comparison, the Wii U had sold 13.56 million consoles during its lifetime, and 102.91 million games during that same period.
Meanwhile, the 3DS has continued its quick fade with the Nintendo Switch stealing the spotlight. The handheld system sold merely 200k units, an almost 45% (44.9) decrease year over year for the quarter. It's not just hardware that isn't selling on the 3DS, Software sales are down too. 1.48 million games were sold during the quarter for the 3DS, a nearly 50% (49.7) decrease compared to the same period in 2018.
The report also revealed the top ten best selling first-party games for the Nintendo Switch since its release on March 3rd, 2017. The number of units sold for each of these games can be found below.
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 17.89 million
- Super Mario Odyssey – 14.94 million
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 14.73 million
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 13.61 million
- Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! / Pokemon: Let’s Go, Eevee! – 10.98 million
- Splatoon 2 – 9.02 million
- Super Mario Party – 6.99 million
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 4.10 million (released January 10)
- 1-2 Switch – 3.01 million
- Mario Tennis Aces – 2.75 million
Did you buy a Switch at launch, or are you waiting until the updates to the console come out later this year? And do you own any of the games in the top ten of units sold, and if you have, which one of them is your favorite? Tell us more about your experiences with the Switch in the comments below and make sure tell your favorite thing about it as well.