Bandai Namco's prolific output as of late has been celebrated by some, as we're now seeing the stateside release of games that we never thought would hit America. However, gamers on PC are a bit more technically discerning, and recent releases on the platform have been met with critical reception to say the least. Most recently, the PC release of NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM 4 has arrived, and players have already filled the game's Steam reviews with tales of poor optimization.
- Frame rate locked to 30FPS, some users dropping below that
- Resolution options limited to 720p and 1080p (more can be found in the config files)
- No V-Sync or Supersampling (although these can be turned on in the game's config files)
- Slowdowns and crashes regardless of hardware
- Sounds not working at all or only coming out of one audio channel during cutscenes
- Problems with controls either on keyboard or gamepad
- Game language is wrong with no option to change it
- Game won't load past the title screen
None of these issues seem to be universal, but the consensus seems to be that most users are experiencing at least some issue that is preventing them from enjoying their anime ninja action. Thankfully, it seems that there are also already some fixes in the works. Steam user Scott has discovered a workaround for NVIDIA users that seems to erase the game's framerate issues. Bandai Namco also seem well aware of the issues, and have solicited feedback both on the Steam forums and on Twitter.https://twitter.com/Narutovideogame/status/695530542377390080
I'm of two minds on these issues. On the one hand, the collector/hoarder side of me is thrilled just to see these games be preserved on PC in any format, as they are safer there than being stuck in the much less permanent console ecosystems. Of course, I also want gamers to get the best experience with what they purchase, and fans who wanted to sling some jutsu this weekend will most likely have to wait for modders to clean up this mess before they can really dive in.
Have you experienced any issues with Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4? Do you believe that Bandai Namco can fix the launch issues for Naruto and their other games? Are you willing to play through some of the technical glitches in order to become a ninja master? Let us know in the comments below!