Today Microsoft released a major update for Microsoft Flight Simulator while third-party developers launched a major airport and new screenshots of another.
First and foremost, we got the twelfth world update, focusing on New Zealand. The base update will be downloaded automatically when you launch the sim, but you need to remember to "purchase" (for $0) the assets from the in-sim Marketplace.
It includes plenty of new hand-crafted airports, digital elevation data, photogrammetry-enhanced cities, points of interest, and more. You can find a full list of content on the official website and a trailer below.
Linked to the World Update, Microsoft has released the eighth "Local Legend" aircraft, the DHC-4 Caribou. It's priced at $14.99 in the official in-sim Marketplace and you can check out a trailer below.
Moving on to third-party products, but sticking to New Zealand, NZA Simulations released its Christchurch International Airport (NZCH).
It's available on Orbx Direct and on the developer's own store for $25.42. Below you can read a list of features and watch a trailer.
- NZA Simulations Proline Plus™ Airport
- Full 3D custom modelled airport including all the surrounding business parks ≈ 300 buildings
- NZA’s full PBR true-to-life runways and aprons
- All the lines, YES even the roads and carparks in the area are done properly.
- All the fences, including detailed fence weeds
- High resolution custom CGL ground aerial imagery
- Custom Approach, Runway & Apron lighting to match real world.
- Terra-formed runway
- Parking positions setup with correct Airline codes for compatibility with Air Traffic mods such as AIG, FSLTL etc.
Full 3D Interiors
- Interiors for the main terminal, all boarding areas and more
- Novotel Hotel – with top and ground floor fully 3D and high-res parallax room textures.
- ATC Tower
- GCH Aviation Private Jet Terminal and Helicopters at the south end of the airport
- Custom Jetway Sounds
- Terminal Interior Sounds – Chatter, announcements etc.
- Terminal Piano Sounds
- Animated Jetways – Custom for each gate to match the real ones
- Animated 3D AI people walking about the terminal, ATC, and other areas
- Animated Custom AI vehicles roaming the airport
- Custom Ground Service vehicles – Pushback & Catering Truck
- Sudima Hotel Clock working to Sim Time
- Rotating Primary Airport Surveillance Radar
Custom Nose-In Guidance System (VDGS)
- Support for Aerosoft’s VDGS at the Airliner Gates (16-35)
Last, but not least, we move elsewhere entirely with new screenshots of Calgary International Airport (CYYC) in Canada by FSimStudios. The developer showcased the ATC tower, the Westjet 787 hangar, and the international terminal.
Microsoft Flight Simulator is currently available for PC, Xbox Series X|S, and Xbox Cloud Gaming, including Game Pass. If you'd like to learn more, you should stay tuned on TechRaptor as we host daily Microsoft Flight Simulator news to keep you updated on the many add-ons coming and released for the sim. We have also recently reviewed Orbx's Oslo Gardermoen Airport.