There will soon be a new reason to take to the skies: Microsoft Flight Simulator Game of the Year Edition has been announced is bringing 5 new planes and 8 new airports to PC and Xbox next month.
Microsoft Flight Simulator is a game with a dedicated fanbase, some of whom have created some pretty wacky mods. The game has been out for over a year and has received several substantial updates such as improvements to training and enhancements to the world as we saw in last month's debut of World Update 6. Now, a Game of the Year Edition is on the way -- along with the launch of the Reno Air Races.
What Do You Get with Microsoft Flight Simulator Game of the Year Edition?
Microsoft Flight Simulator Game of the Year Edition bundles in all of the existing updates and content for the game, but that's not all. You're also going to get five new airplanes -- including the first modern fighter jet in the latest version of the flight simulator franchise.
Here are the new planes that are included with this edition according to today's announcement:
- Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornet: Our first military jet and a highly requested feature from the community. The Top Gun: Maverick expansion will release with the movie next [spring], but we wanted simmers to have the opportunity to test their need for speed this holiday.
- VoloCity: We partnered with well-known German company Volocopter, which is working on an eVTOL called “VoloCity”, a vision for an urban air taxi. We worked closely with the Volocopter engineering team to develop an authentic version of the prototype aircraft for the simulator. This is our first aircraft that can perform pinpoint landings and is a teaser of what you can look forward to in 2022 when we intend to launch helicopters in the sim.
- Pilatus PC-6 Porter: This legendary short takeoff and landing (STOL) utility aircraft is a highly versatile plane from Switzerland and comes with several cockpits, cabins, and landing gear variations. It is the result of our close collaboration with the manufacturer and the development efforts by famed developers Hans Hartmann and Alexander Metzger resulted in a great and fun new aircraft with [exceptional] capabilities in the simulator.
- CubCrafters NX Cub: Yakima-based CubCrafters recently introduced a nosewheel option for their flagship CC-19 XCub Aircraft, popularly called the NX Cub, which we are pleased to introduce to the flight sim audience to further enhance our bush flying and [off-airport] options.
- Aviat Pitts Special S1S: One of our most popular planes gets a single-seat option with the release of this aircraft.
New airplanes aside, a number of new airports are also being added to the game in Germany, Switzerland, and the United States.
- Leipzig/Halle Airport (EDDP)
- Allgäu Airport Memmingen (EDJA)
- Kassel Airport (EDVK)
- Lugano Airport (LSZA)
- Zurich Airport (LSZH)
- Luzern-Beromunster Airport (LSZO)
- United States
- Patrick Space Force Base (KCOF)
- Marine Corps Air Station Miramar (KNKX)
There's more coming to this edition, too -- 14 new tutorials, 6 new Discovery Flight locations, and new features (like an updated weather system) are arriving, too. You can read about all of the new goodies on the way in today's announcement.
When is the Microsoft Flight Simulator Game of the Year Edition Release Date?
The Microsoft Flight Simulator Game of the Year Edition release date is November 18, 2021.
The Microsoft Flight Simulator Reno Air Races Feature Iconic Real-World Aircraft
Also announced today is the release date for the Reno Air Races expansion. This new content isn't just adding dozens of shiny new planes to the game -- you'll also be able to race online.
The Reno Air Races are a real-world event that is kind of like NASCAR or F1 racing -- except it's, you know, in the air. Purchasers of this expansion pack will be able to select from 40 officially licensed aircraft including the North American T-6 Texan, the Aero L-39 Albatros, and the Aviat Pitts Special S1S. Each of these aircraft will have 10 cosmetic variations based on real-world racing planes.
When is the Microsoft Flight Simulator Reno Air Races Release Date?
The Microsoft Flight Simulator Reno Air Races release date is also November 18, 2021 -- the game day that the Microsoft Flight Simulator Game of the Year Edition launches.
You'll be able to pick up this expansion pack at prices ranging from $19.99-$59.99 or your regional equivalent depending on which content you'd like to get; you can read today's announcement about the expansion for all the details. Otherwise, you can take to the skies and enjoy all of this new content by buying Microsoft Flight Simulator for PC and Xbox starting at $59.99 or your regional equivalent.
What do you think of the new content coming in Microsoft Flight Simulator Game of the Year Edition? Do you think you'll be able to survive the Reno Air Races? Let us know in the comments below!