A bunch of new Maneater details have been revealed today by Tripwire Interactive, detailing the environments, enemies, and evolutions that players will encounter in this upcoming game from the Killing Floor developer.
What's Maneater all about? Disappointingly, it has nothing to do with the 1982 hit song by Hall & Oates. Instead, you'll be taking on the role of a deadly shark with a taste for man-flesh — and there ain't no boat big enough to stop you.
Maneater Details Locations of Terror
A maneater needs men to eat, and the choice pickins are on the waterfront. While there are one or two backwater locales, most of these maps seem to focus on terrorizing the wealthy folks of the world.
- Caviar Key - A luxury 5-star resort built over the remains of Tuna Macha (which appears to be a water animal park akin to Seaworld).
- Crawfish Bay - An area rife that was once rife with shark hunters, mixing rural scenery and beautiful underwater flora.
- Dead Horse Lake - A Superfund site that's filled with pollution and, consequently, a fair amount of murky water.
- Fawtick Bayou - A wilderness with a lot of wildlife, some of which would love to chomp on you for a change.
- Golden Shores - A seaside vacation residence for rich people.
- The Gulf - One of the largest areas with its fair share of mysteries (and apparently not much in the way of people).
- Prosperity Sands - Another shoreline location where you can quite literally eat the rich. (I'm sensing a theme.)
- Sapphire Bay - A heavily-developed area that has been repeatedly hit by hurricanes (and occasionally shoddy construction accidents), littering the ocean floor with much debris.
The Enemies You'll Face
This won't be a free-for-all chompfest. You'll have to contend with other predators in the ocean both small and large. Outside of that, you'll get to play Jaws from the other side of the equation by taking on bounty hunters.
- Alligator - A tough-as-nails underwater critter that can slap your ass so hard that you'll fly out of the water. Watch out for the death roll!
- Barracuda - A barracuda can get up to roughly 3 feet (≈1 meter) in length. You don't get to face that barracuda. Instead, you get to fight the mutant barracuda from hell.
- Hammerhead Shark - Did you think you'd be the only shark in this game? Not only will you have to fight another shark, but this one has recently taken a trip to the hardware store.
- Mako - A super-fast rival shark that will prove for challenging underwater fights. It's like Sonic the Hedgehog, but underwater!
- One of the more interesting Maneater details is that you won't just be fighting other animals; you'll also have to contend with bounty hunters coming after your, too, and some of these people are packing some pretty heavy weaponry.
Evolve to the Next Level
Apparently, your shark is also part Pokemans. You can gain one totally sensible new ability and two freakish mutations that are absolutely unbelievable.
- Bio Evolution - You know what's scarier than a man-eating shark? A man-eating shark that's engulfed in lightning.
- Bone Evolution - As if a shark's skin wasn't tough enough, you can also add on some bones outside of your body to become an even tougher killing machine.
- Tail Whip - Probably the only sensible evolution in the game, tail whip is exactly what it says on the tin. You whip stuff with your tail.
And that's all! Maneater looks like it's shaping up very nicely with a good mix of enemies, locations, and power-ups for your murderously-hungry shark.
What do you think of the new Maneater details revealing environments, enemies, and evolutions? What do you hope you can do in the game? Let us know in the comments below!