The mind behind Kerbal Space Program, Felipe Falanghe, created his own development firm, Floating Origin Studios. He will team up with publisher The Irregular Corporation, known for their work on the successful PC Building Simulator and Murder by Numbers, to bring the studio's first title to live, the Balsa Model Flight Simulator. The name draws inspiration from the Balsa wood used to create airplane models for school fairs and collectors.
Similar to Falanghe's original creation, Balsa Model Flight Simulator, allows users to create airplanes with great detail and deep customization options. You already know people will try their best to push the boundaries of physics and engineering, and this is exactly what the game is made for with the assets available. After creating your aircraft, you can take it into the free flight sandbox mode, or just go through what the development team wants to experience in the proper sequence with the title's single-player campaign. Here is a list of the main features revealed so far:
- In-game Vehicle Editor - Build anything you can imagine using parts that snap together in a hands-on, intuitive way.\
- Paint and Customize your designs - Balsa’s Vehicle Editor allows you to not only build but also paint and apply decals to your vehicles to make them completely your own.
- A physics-based flight model, ensures your designs behave realistically as they fly (and crash).
- Single-player campaign mode - tackle a range of challenges across a variety of maps and earn currency to further improve your aircraft.
- Free flight sandbox mode where you can hone your skills or enjoy a more relaxed flying experience.
- Moddable to Extremes: Balsa was designed from the ground up to support modding and players will be able to add custom content to everything from new planes and parts to maps and modes.
- A fully supported multiplayer, for up to 16 virtual pilots.
- Paintball Combat - Create and take your aerial combat machine up against other players in model-scale paintball dogfights.
Balsa Model Flight Simulator sets sight on mid-2020 for its PC release date. Check out the announcement trailer below for more details.