Today Embers Games announced that its interesting action-adventure game Strayed Lights is coming in spring 2023.
The game will be released on PC (via Steam, Epic Games Store, and GoG.com), PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo Switch.
The announcement was accompanied by a trailer providing an idea of what we can expect. You can check it out below. Incidentally, it was initially only published by Epic Games, which tells me that someone at Epic may have pulled the trigger early.
This actually isn't the first time we see Strayed Lights as it was introduced by Embers rather quietly about a year ago. The studio is a small indie team based in Strasbourg, France, but it appears that the developers have a lot of talent under their belt.
According to the original reveal, Strayed Lights's combat system has an interesting timing and color-based mechanic. Both you and the enemies switch between orange and blue, and hits can be landed only when the target has the other color up, while the same color generates a block. This means that you need to switch color dynamically in order to deal damage and avoid being damaged yourself.
Besides the fluid combat, Strayed Light promises "an intricate world imbued with mystery." The story of the game evolves from the main character's childhood to adulthood, and it also focuses on helping and soothing the bosses as opposed to just defeating them.
Incidentally, the score is composed by acclaimed maestro Austin Wintory.
Below you can read an official description of the game's features:
- Play as a Being of Unbalanced Energy, on Its Journey Towards Awakening: Strayed Lights is an atmospheric action-adventure with fluid combat and an intricate world imbued with mystery. You are a tiny, growing light seeking transcendence. Explore a land of otherworldly ruins and glowing trees, where entities of flickering lights and luminescent shadows reside.
- Harness Energy in Combat: Challenge rogue shadow creatures in fast-paced, rewarding combat. Use a fluid mix of parries and dodges to absorb their energy levels until you can unleash an ultra energy attack. Shift your light from blue to orange in sync with enemies using timed parries, then push energy back at them in vivid finishers.
- Confront Creatures Within and Without: Monsters pursue you across otherworldly regions of mists, tall trees and luminescent ruins. Enjoy evocative boss fights with colossal shadow creatures gone rogue, as well as strategic and rhythmic duels with a variety of eerie creatures.
- Grow and Ascend: Build up a unique character that can harness energy to let loose bold attacks. Unlock new abilities and grow from a tiny light to a pseudo-mystical entity imbued with vivid powers.
- Explore a Mysterious Land: Strayed Lights is set in a dark and oneiric world that is as vivid as it is mysterious.Journey alongside a haunting soundtrack that reflects states of feeling in creatures you encounter created by Grammy-nominated composer Austin Wintory, whose previous projects include Journey, Abzu, and The Banner Saga series.