Final Fantasy XV's first DLC pack, Episode Gladiolus, is about to release and, as you might expect, there's a patch out today to prepare the game for its arrival. What you might not expect, however, is that the updates (1.06 and 1.07) don't just prime the game for its add-on. According to the YouTube trailer released by Square Enix (below), the free update will add a standalone telling of the game's much-maligned chapter 13 from the perspective of Gladio. Essentially, this is giving all players the opportunity to try out playing as Gladiolus without the need to purchase his DLC episode and adding new cutscenes that, hopefully, shed some new light on some of the more rushed plot points from the game's penultimate chapter.
According to information surfacing from eagle-eyed reddit users who have already downloaded the free patch 'Chapter 13, Verse 2: For King and Comrade' will be available to select from the main menu (similar to the recent carnival event) and will be entirely separate to your main game. This means items and abilities won't transfer between the two, as confirmed by the screenshot below.
The update also brings the previously promised changes to Noctis' Arcana spells, enhancing them for use outside of chapter 13's confines. As well as this, the winning snaps from the game's first photo contest will now be on display at Takka's pitstop in Hammerhead. It seems from the trailer and accompanying press release that the update will open up some previously inaccessible areas of the map in the main game, showing footage of the gang riding chocobos on top of the Arches of Duscaea. The full patch notes are as follows:
- Addition of Chapter 13, Verse 2
- Enhancement of Arcana spells (Alterna, Holy, Death)
- Announcement of winning snapshots from first photo contest
- Temporary conclusion of Timed Quests (will resume at a later date)
- Addition of two pieces from Episode Gladiolus downloadable content to music player tracklist
- Addition of compatibility with Episode Gladiolus downloadable content
- Various gameplay enhancements
- Various bug fixes
- Updated saves will not work on former versions of the game
- Various bug fixes
What do you think of this free update? Can anything save chapter 13, or are these additions too little, too late? Give us your take in the comments!