It's finally official: Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers is releasing on July 2nd and will include a gunblade job and playable Viera.
The Final Fantasy XIV Fan Festival is underway in Paris right now, meaning Square Enix is firing off announcement after announcement regarding the upcoming expansion. To kick the festival off, Producer & Director Naoki Yoshida (AKA Yoshi-P) took to the stage to present an extended version of the Shadowbringers teaser trailer that sheds a bit more light on the story content. Spoiler: a lot of people are wearing hoods and worrying about something.
Along with this reveal, Square Enix finally confirmed that Shadowbringers will include the gunbreaker, a tank job that wields the series' iconic gunblade weapon. Though they revealed no details on the job's mechanics, Square Enix did release a short reveal trailer that showcased the job's look and some of its animations.
Square Enix also confirmed that players will also be able to select Viera—the rabbit-like race from Final Fantasy XII's Ivalice—as a character race. This was revealed via another short trailer to showcase the new race and their default
Neither of these will likely be surprising to FFXIV fans—gunblades and the people that wield them have been featured more prominently in the recent story content, and director Yoshi-P teased the Viera by wearing a Bugs Bunny racing T-shirt at November's North American Fan Festival. Nevertheless, both are long-requested additions to the game that are likely to please series fans.
Other announcements include:
- Il Mheg and Rak'tika Greatwood—Shadowbringers' two new areas. Both appear to be lush, vibrant locales.
- The Trust System—a new system that allows players to enter Shadowbringers' 4-player instanced dungeons with a group of "familiar" NPCs instead.
- The Pixies and Titania—a new beast tribe and primal.
- YoRHa: Dark Apocalypse—a new alliance raid designed by Yosuke Saito and YOKO TARO, the duo behind NieR: Automata. The raid appears to be heavily inspired by NieR.
- Early Access—players who pre-order Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers will have access to the expansion content on June 28th instead of July 2nd.