A patch has been released by Bethesda for the PC version of The Evil Within that has added a number of new things. Most notably added is the option to switch between 30 fps and 60 fps when running the game and allowing you to disable the black bars. The patch, available through Steam also allows access to the command console to boost the fps past 60.
Here is a list of all the Patch notes.
- Frame lock settings added
- In settings, you can now toggle between a 30 FPS and 60 FPS cap.
- Letterbox setting
- UI toggle to disable the letterbox bars Fixes gameplay issues when running at >30 FPS
- Fixes for visual issues associated with removing letterbox framing
- Achievements now work when console is enabled Fix for game starting in windowed mode on first run
- Minor localization fixes
Source: Patch Notes