DOOM, the game that went on to surprise many players despite its generic multiplayer portion, has been given a fifth free update that is available on all systems right now.
This news comes from the official Steam Community page for DOOM. Just like the 4 other updates released for the game, this patch fixes and tweaks some of the game's mechanics, as well as add completely new features to the game based on requests from the players. This time around, the focus lies on providing the multiplayer portion of the game with more functionality while also adding more functionality to the game's SnapMap feature.
First up are changes and features for the multiplayer:
- Added new game mode, Infernal Run Teams fight to obtain the ball and score in the opponent’s goal
- Added Bots for multiplayer Bots are available on original multiplayer maps in Team Deathmatch and Deathmatch game modes
- Increased the maximum level cap to Echelon 11, level 50
- Added the DOOM Marine Armor (Praetor Suit) as unlockable perk for achieving maximum multiplayer level cap
- Resolved an issue where rapid controller input caused unusually high shotgun damage.
To celebrate the release of the new game mode, iD Software is holding a Double XP event until December 13.
The game's SnapMap feature, which allows players to create and share maps created with the in-game editor, is also getting a ton of new stuff players can use in their creations. New sounds, FX, modifiers and an "improved" object limit that should allow you to place more stuff in your maps. Here's the full list of all the new things you can tinker around with in SnapMap:
- You can now play as the DOOM Marine in Praetor Suit Armor
- Added over 30 Lazarus Lab–themed modules
- Added Lazarus Lab–themed props
- Improved Object Limits
- Persistent Integer variables that can be passed between missions within a campaign
- Save and restore your health/armor/ammo/weapons/equipment/max weapon slots/inventory
- Added the ability to Get and Set Score
- You can now access the Leaderboard Score in the HUD
- Added new (first-person view) Player Camera Entity
- Added camera rumble FX and sounds
- Added new player modifiers
- Ledge grab time, power-up time, barrel damage, equipment cool down
- Plasma weapon mastery
- Additional single-player Interactables
- New single-player styled Objective HUD
- Added single-player Compass
- General single-player consistency pass on HUD
- Added more POI options
- Show distance, show on compass
- Updated victory and post-match summary screens
- More interactable and customizable GUI
- Added animated Echo Events
- Added new FX/hazards
- Added % encounter complete listener to encounters
- Ability to remove AI from finished encounters and events
- Ability to remove unspawned AI from the AIC
- Added ability to turn off bobbing on pickups to place them however you want
- Editor improvement to hide/show types of objects
- Editor improvement to lock rotation when moving objects
- Editor improvement to disable snapping of objects to the floor
- Added armor Customizations and Taunts
Lastly, we’re pleased to announce that Bloodfall will be available worldwide on December 15th for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. Turn invisible as the Spectre Pinky demon across three new maps in the third and final DLC for DOOM.Lastly, this update seems to have removed the controversial Denuvo DRM from the game, a move which will probably make a lot of people very happy. Denuvo has a bad reputation because may claim that the software has a negative performance impact on the game it's implemented in.
DOOM got released with both critical, as well as public, acclaim (find our review here) and sees the franchise return to its 90s roots with fast-paced gameplay, over the top violence and a metal soundtrack that'll singe your eyebrows off.
How are you finding the new update? Let us know!