DCS World fans have been waiting for the F-15E Strike Eagle module by Razbam for a long time, and now it finally appeared over the horizon.
Following a small delay from the original date, the module is available for pre-order now exclusively on Eagle Dynamics' official marketplace for $55.99, which is a 30% discount from the full price of $79.99. Being on ED's marketplace, this pre-order is incompatible with the Steam version of the simulator, so if you have that one, you'll have to wait.
According to the developer, it'll be released in early access "in a few months or sooner." This is pretty normal for the most advanced DCS World modules, which tend to have extensive early access phases as they are made even more complex and complete. This F-15E promises to be a high-definition "study-level" aircraft that will require extensive study to master.
A full release date or even a start date for the early access phase has not been announced, for now.
The announcement was celebrated with a trailer, and if you know DCS World and Eagle Dynamics' proficiency with trailers, you likely know you're in for a treat. You can also take a look at another trailer from a few weeks ago.
Below you can read the features promised for the aircraft.
Key Features include:
- Advanced Flight Model that provides realistic performance and flight characteristics for the F-15E Strike Eagle with P&W F100-PW-229 engines.
- Highly detailed external 3D model and textures for the most accurate F-15E currently available in any simulation software.
- Highly detailed and accurate 6 DOF cockpit based on 3D scanned objects with high resolution textures, specular and bump mapping, and mouse-interactive controls.
- Detailed and thorough simulation of the F-15E’s AN/APG-70 Radar.
- Joint Tactical Information Distribution Systems (JTIDS) datalink.
Training material includes:
- A set of interactive training missions covering all the most important instruments, weapons and aspects of using the aircraft.
- Fully manual for the aircraft.
- A free story-driven campaign built by Baltic Dragon
- A set of single missions for Singleplayer, Multiplayer and Multicrew.
I seriously wish that developers stopped abusing the word "free." This is a payware aircraft and not exactly a cheap one. While the inclusion of the campaign is very welcome, nothing included in the package is "free." "At no additional cost" is the wording you're looking for, Eagle Dynamics.
Personal pet peeves aside, DCS World is currently available only for PC and the base simulator can be downloaded for free (properly "free" in this case) either via the developer's own site or Steam. If you'd like to see more, you can also enjoy the trailer teasing what Eagle Dynamics has in store for 2023 and beyond. In the meanwhile, another popular developer, Heatblur, is preparing to launch the F-4E Phantom and working on the Eurofighter Typhoon.
If you prefer more peaceful flying, you can check out our daily Microsoft Flight Simulator coverage. We're hosting daily articles recapping all the news about the many add-ons coming to the simulator.