It wouldn't have been a surprise to hear that The Darkest Dungeon: Butcher's Circus DLC announcement was an April Fool's joke. However, the developers have happily reported that this brand-new DLC is very real.
For the sake of context, here was the April Fool's tweet:
Happy April 1st - Enjoy this sneak peek of our upcoming DLC! pic.twitter.com/yZOP6whaO5— Darkest Dungeon (@DarkestDungeon) April 1, 2020
As you can see from its... interesting design choices, it would be understandable to think that this new DLC was simply a prank for April Fool's day. However, the devs have come out to say that The Butcher's Circus is very real — and it's coming soon.
What is Darkest Dungeon: The Butcher's Circus All About?
Now that we know The Butcher's Circus is real, what will we actually experience in this new DLC?
Here are the features listed for this latest batch of content for Darkest Dungeon:
- New Hamlet Location: The Butcher's Circus
- Engage in no-holds-barred PvP combat with teams of 4 heroes (without risking your Campaign heroes)
- Climb the ranks to show off your command of heroes and ability to weather misfortune and violence
- Unlock banner components and use your creativity to assemble your own duelist heraldry
- Strategize with new gladiatorial trinkets that can mean all the difference in pitched battles against other heroes
- A gleefully warped musical theme by Stuart Chatwood, Narrator quips by the esteemed Wayne June, and all new gripping sound FX by Power Up Audio
New content is always good news, but it's not all happy vibes in here — Red Hook Studios still hasn't settled on a release date for Darkest Dungeon: The Butcher's Circus, nor have they announced a price. For now, you can add this upcoming piece of DLC to your wishlist on Steam.
What do you think of Darkest Dungeon: The Butcher's Circus? Are you looking forward to diving back into the dungeon? Let us know in the comments below!