The first Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War multiplayer details have arrived and it's looking like it's going to be a fantastic experience for first-person shooter fans — especially if they're been playing Modern Warfare.
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is coming out on November 13. This continuation of the Black Ops franchise will be set during the Cold War, but we still don't know a whole lot about the gameplay in this upcoming Call of Duty title. Now, Activision has revealed what we can look forward to in multiplayer.
Check out the Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Multiplayer Reveal Trailer to get hyped for the next generation of CoD!
How Does Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Multiplayer Work?
Let's start with one of the coolest new developments in multiplayer: Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War will feature Cross-Play, Cross-Progression, and will be Cross-Generation. What does this mean?
- Cross-Play – Everyone will participate in one big community, regardless of what platform they're on.
- Cross-Generation – As with Cross-Play, people on different console generations will nonetheless be able to play together.
- Cross-Progression – All of your progress is tied to one Activision account. It doesn't matter where you play!
- You'll retain any content you earned in Modern Warfare or Warzone.
- Current Modern Warfare and Warzone content can only be used in those games.
- Black Ops Cold War multiplayer content can be earned in both Black Ops Cold War multiplayer and Warzone multiplayer and can be used in those games.
- The Black Ops Cold War multiplayer content you've earned can not be used in Modern Warfare.
Activision continues to get more consumer-friendly with a complete and total lack of a Season Pass. Instead, post-launch multiplayer maps and modes will be given to all current owners for free. There will, however, be a Battle Pass and Store according to the Activision Blog post on the matter.
When is the Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Beta?
There's one other important thing to mention: the Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War beta. As with some other recent Call of Duty games, PS4 gamers are going to get access first according to the Activision blog.
The beta will be split into two weeks in October 2020, roughly one month before the full launch of the game. Here are the dates:
- October 8–9, 2020 – PS4 Early Access for Open Beta
- October 10–12, 2020 – PS4 Open Beta
- October 15–16, 2020 – PC & Xbox Early Access, PS4 Open Beta continues
- October 17–19, 2002 – Open Beta for all platforms
The open beta Early Access times are available to people who have already pre-ordered or pre-purchased the game. If you're excited about these new Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War multiplayer details, you can pre-order the game via its official website.
Are you excited for the Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War beta? What do you think of how Activision has changed the way it deploys multiplayer content in recent years? Let us know in the comments below!