Blitzchung Responds to Blizzard's Decision

Blitzchung Hearthstone Blizzard

Latest News

Blitzchung Responds to Blizzard's Decision

October 14, 2019

By: Robert Grosso

More Info About This Game
Platforms
Android, IOS, Mac, PC
Release Date
March 11, 2014 (Calendar)
 
 

Chung "Blitzchung" Ng Wai has responded to Blizzard's recent statement over his suspension regarding his public comments regarding the ongoing Hong Kong Controversy.

Blitzchung, posting a statement via twitlonger, noted that he is "grateful for Blizzard reconsidering their position about my ban," though he knew his statements would likely suffer some consequence and that in the future, "Will be more careful on that and express my opinions or show my support to Hong Kong on my personal platforms." 

Last week, the competitive Hearthstone player was given a 12-month ban for his comments regarding the ongoing Hong Kong Protests, which began in March of 2019 over the proposed Fugitive Offenders Amendment bill by the Hong Kong government.

The protests have since spilled into issues of control with the Chinese government over Hong Kong, with protesters demanding full democracy for Hong Kong along with an investigation in corrupt police officials. Blitzchung, for his part, expressed pro-democracy and pro-Hong Kong sentiments in his post-match interview for the Hearthstone Grandmasters regular season in the Asia-Pacific Region. 

 
 

Blitzchung, along with the two casters, was immediately suspended, and his winnings were also taken away from the event. A massive outcry swept the gaming world and gaming press, including several Blizzard employees who staged a walkout over the decision. All of the backlash has prompted Blizzard's president J. Allen Brack to return his winnings and cut the suspension down to six months. 

Most of Blitzchung's response goes into Bracks statement:

Many people has been asking me if I accept the latest decision of Blizzard, I will discuss that on two parts. Tournament prizing and suspension. For tournament prizing, I quoted what Blizzard said on the official website, they mention that I played fair in the tournament and they believe I should receive my prizing. This is the part I really appreciate, Blizzard also said they understand for some this is not about the prize, but perhaps for others it is disrespectful to even discuss it. People from Blizzard had explained this to me through a phone call and I really appreciate that and I accept their decision on this part.

For second part about the suspension, Blizzard had changed their suspension on me from a year to six months. Once again, I appreciate for their reconsideration on this. To be honest, I think six months is still quite a lot to me. But I also being told that I can continue to compete in the hearthstone pro circuit which they mean the grandmaster tournament. I appreciate for this decision they made because grandmaster is currently the highest level tournament in competitive
Hearthstone. However, I wish Blizzard can reconsider about their penalty on the two casters involved.

Unfortunately, Blitzchung admits that he may not continue to compete in Hearthstone any further. As he has a few months before the next Grandmaster event, he noted he will "take this time to relax myself to decide if I am staying in competitive Hearthstone scene or not."

The controversy will likely be ongoing, so be sure to continue following TechRaptor for more updates as this story continues.

What are your thoughts on Blitzchung's statement? Leave your comments below. 

Self Photo Holding Beer
Staff Writer

A game playing, college teaching scholar who happens to write some articles every so often. Enjoys penning long-form articles that few probably read. Love the art of gaming, preservation, collecting and RPGs. Have worked as a journalist, critic, educator and blogger for over ten years now, with articles published (as user editorials) on Game Revolution and Giant Bomb as well as a contributor for the websites Angry Bananas and Blistered Thumbs. Now making TechRaptor my home.

Comments