It's been teased for a while now, but it looks like we've got official conformation from Edmund McMillen about the official release date of the DLC for The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, nicknamed Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth. The "mega DLC" comes to the PC on October 30th for the price of $9.99, just in time for the spooks and the horrors of Halloween. It is unclear when this DLC will make it to the console versions, however in the blog post the release date was announced on, it was indicated that Afterbirth was demoed on the Playstation 4 at PAX, so it isn't too far off. The official trailer for the release date announcement was released as well, as you can see below.
The claim for Afterbirth is that it will add 100+ hours to a game already loaded with content, including adding Daily Runs to compete for a high score and the best time on daily seeded leaderboards, which is something the community will surely love. In addition to 10 new challenges and an expanded main game with a final new area and a another new final boss and ending, the big draw here is the new Greed Mode. In Greed Mode, the emphasis on Risk/Reward mechanics are put into the spotlight, as mentioned in a previous post here on TechRaptor.
In addition to the mentioned features above, Afterbirth also has the following additions:
- 8 new bosses
- 1000+ new rooms (tiny rooms, closets, giant arching hallways).
- New Playable character, Lilith (the mother of demons)
- 120 new items, not counting new pickups/chests/pills/bombs/cards. This brings the item count to 525.
- 4 new alternate chapters with new chapter specific enemy types.
- 25+ new enemies
- Updated item combo system (but at this time, it's unsure what this is)
- "Far too many new achievements"
- A new seed code combo page, as well as a "butt ton of new seed codes that mod the game"
- More music to the soundtrack
- New secret transformations
- And as put on the blog: "Probably at least 5 other features I can't remember due to all the crap that we threw into this little monster."