Nintendo premiered the modern virtual gaming presentation among major companies, and after an absolutely painful one from Xbox yesterday lacking in substance, style, and accuracy, they delivered a command performance to show how it's done. Headlining the event was three multi-platform game releases happening right after the show, with Axiom Verge 2, Boyfriend Dungeon, and Garden Story releases all announced to be happening today.
Axiom Verge 2 is the follow-up to the acclaimed Metroidvania Axiom Verge, which has been in the works from Tom Happ for several years. During the event, it was announced to be releasing on Nintendo Switch today along with PlayStation 4, and PC (Epic Game Store) versions for the prequel to the original game with two interconnected worlds.
Boyfriend Dungeon is a unique take on the dating sim because you're dating your weapon. Meet your match, when you go dungeon crawling with the finest swords you can find, available today on Nintendo Switch, Xbox (Series X|S, and One), and PC (Steam or Epic). It is also available on Game Pass.
Garden Story stole our hearts when it appeared at past events, and all of us have been looking forward to this action RPG where a young grape protects and rebuilds its community. Its also available today on Nintendo Switch, and PC (Steam or Epic).
What else was announced at the Nintendo Indie Direct?
Of course, three games isn't enough for an event, nor were they the only shadow drops from the event presented. Three other games are available today on Nintendo Switch, with ports from other platforms. They are:
- Islanders: Console Edition as a timed console exclusive for the minimalist, relaxing strategy building game available now on Nintendo Switch, and previously available on Steam
- Necrobarista: Final Pour is another Switch timed console exclusive, this time with remastered visuals, new story content, and a brand new studio mode where players can create their own dialogue and stories. That new content and studio mode will be coming in the future on PC, and Apple Arcade
- Curious Expedition 2 has you exploring the world in a roguelike hunt for treasure battling of against dangers and vying to become famous adventurers as part of an explorer club, now on Switch.
- Slime Rancher: Portable Edition brings the dirty work of slime ranching on the go with you on Switch today, giving you a chance to learn about it before the sequel releases next year.
Of course, not even Nintendo could get everyone to agree to release their ports today. Some things are teases for the future. Here's a quick rundown of the most notable other things shown today:
- Eastward from Chucklefish will be releasing on September 16th, as a timed console exclusive with pre-orders beginning today. Eastward takes place in a post-apocalyptic world where you fight and puzzle-solve your way through issues and dungeons as you try to uncover the truth in this weird world.
- Shovel Knight: Pocket Dungeon will be heading to Nintendo Switch when it launches this winter, as you follow puzzle knight and try to fight foes, recover relics, and battle bosses. The Switch version will make use of the Shovel Knight amiibo to call on a fairy friend.
- Tetris Effect Connected will be making its way to Nintendo Switch on October 8th
- Loop Hero announced a Nintendo Switch version coming this winter
- Bomb Rush Cyberfunk brings to mind Jet Set Radio as a graffiti action-adventure game where you skate, grind, and paint your way to become an All City King. Bomb Rush Cyberfunk will be released as a timed console exclusive on Nintendo Switch in 2022.
And there was even more, during the event, which if you want to check out you can watch the Nintendo Indie World event in its entirety right here.