The long-awaited Among Us Airship map is finally arriving next week, and that's not all — a new Among Us accounts system is arriving at the same time.
Earlier this year, Innersloth explained its plans for Among Us in 2021. The Airship map was stated to be arriving this year as planned and now they've finally set a date. What's more surprising, however, is that the accounts system is arriving next week, too.
How Do Among Us Accounts Work?
The Among Us accounts system is going to be launching with a pretty light feature set. Frankly speaking, there are just as many downsides as there are upsides.
Let's start with the good: the new accounts system will allow you to report people for inappropriate names, cheating, or harassment. Actions in response to these reports can include temporary or even permanent bans.
And that's about it. The rest of the accounts system is largely filled with downsides as noted in today's Steam Community announcement. Here's what else you can expect for the new accounts system:
- No linking of multiple accounts yet (Steam account is only on Steam, mobile on mobile, etc.) It’ll be coming soon though.
- You must create an account to access free chat (without it you will have to use Quick Chat for safety!)
- You must create an account to freely change your display name. If you do not create an account, there will be randomized names you can choose from.
- Usernames are not exclusive. Multiple people can have the same username. (So if you take the username "PuffballsUnited", other people can still use "PuffballsUnited".)
- If you are under the minimum age of digital consent in your country (for most countries 13 is the minimum age), you have to get a parent/guardian's permission to access free chat (which then allows you to create an account), or change your display name.
- Without an account (or if you're a minor who doesn't want to ask your parent/guardian for approval), you can still play via Guest Mode. This locks you to Quick Chat and doesn't allow you to change your name other than with a randomly generated name.
- A corresponding Code of Conduct will be available on the website that outlines the expectations for our community and consequences.
Critically, Among Us accounts will be age-gated to comply with COPPA and similar laws in other countries. Generally speaking, players under the age of 13 will be unable to create an account without their parent's permission.
There won't be any cross-platform support for accounts at launch, either. Innersloth says that it's working on that particular feature for now. The lack of unique usernames means that you won't really have to worry about someone else snapping up your account name, either.
When is the Among Us Airship Map Release Date?
The Among Us Airship Map release date is March 31, 2021 — exactly one week from today's announcement. Among Us accounts will be launching at the same time.
For now, Innersloth is crossing its fingers that the likely influx of players won't completely destroy its servers. You can enjoy the social deduction fun by buying Among Us on PC and consoles via its official website for just $4.99 or your regional equivalent.
What do you think of the initial launch of Among Us accounts? Do you think Innersloth should have waited until it was more feature-rich? Let us know in the comments below!