Warhammer 40,000 Chaos Gate Daemonhunters gives you a lot of options right from the outset, which could seem extremely daunting to new players. Luckily we’re here to break down some of the choices you’re given in the game, explain what each choice actually means and how it could help you out in your journey to save the universe from the Bloom. We've also got some advice for you in what research/ship options you should take, why you should take them and how they'll actually benefit you in the game! We've got a Starter Guide, too, but here's our guide to the Daemonhunters Ship and Classes!
Throughout your war you’re given the choice to invest in research that will help your soldiers in battle. While it’s totally possible to basically completely ignore this, doing so will lead to the inevitable demise of both you and your Prognosticars, so I’d recommend taking a look at the following pieces of research at least.
- Psychic Attunement - This gives your Prognosticars the ability to use Psychic attacks in the field of battle.
- Heal 1 - Unlocks the Heal stratagem. Shockingly, gives your knights extra health.
- Gate Of Infinity - Teleportation! You can move your knights to any visible location within range.
- Torpor - All visible enemies will be afflicted with the immobilized status effect for one turn, allowing you to place your knights in the best strategic positions.
- Strength Of Spirit - All your knights gain 50% extra critical damage for 1 turn, allowing you to take out enemies with the greatest of ease.
- Tides Of Escalation - Allows you to predict the flow of battle and use it to your advantage
- Bloom Suppression - Exactly what it says on the tin, really. It dampens the effects of the Bloom on your knights.
- Enhanced Attunement - This allows you to expose the enemy further and control the Bloom.
- The Seed - This would allow you to use the powers of the Bloom seeds to your advantage, turning the weapon of the enemy against them.
Each player is going to have a markedly different experience within Warhammer 40,000 Chaos Gate Daemonhunters, one that will require you to make your own decisions on what to invest in.
I found it to be extremely effective to invest in anything that would increase the health of my Prognosticars since the game has an extremely steep difficulty curve once you finish the tutorial. It's also worth investing in dampening the effects of Bloom on your knights, given the fact that any one mission could last you up to an hour and your knights are extremely fragile, only able to take one knockout before they're completely dead in the water. Everything else is just a relative bonus, but you should always invest in extra health to begin with.
Gates Of Infinity is also something extremely useful to get as early as possible, given how inherently useful teleportation is in a strategy game like this. You see, in Warhammer 40,000 Chaos Gate Daemonhunters there's not really a definitive end point to when the enemies will stop coming for you in most missions.
A lot of missions revolve around you finding and getting a certain object, destroying something or reaching a certain point in the map, and enemies will constantly spawn around you regardless of how many you've defeated up until that point. Due to this it means the likelihood that you'll get flanked by enemies is extremely high, and the enemies are rather keen on using the Overwatch skill in-game, meaning if you move within their range they'll instantly shoot you. Being able to teleport here means not only avoiding that damage, it also means that if you're flanked you can quickly get away from the enemy. Truly a great skill to have.
Damonhunters Ship Upgrades
As previously mentioned with the research, you could just ignore everything to do with your ship, but if you do so you can expect to see your ship go down in flames sooner rather than later. Warhammer 40,000 Chaos Gate Daemonhunters might focus primarily on your ground combat, that doesn’t mean you should favour one over the other. You need to choose the correct upgrades from the basic upgrades list you’re given in each section, so we’ve laid out the basics here.
- Improved Reactor Output - This will allow you to move faster towards your destination, allowing you to save more people for the empire!
- Augmentation Chamber - This will allow you to create new Servitors and enhance them.
- Accelerated Construction - Shouldn’t need explaining, but this gives you an extra 50% construction speed for anything you do on your ship.
- Libris-Malleus - The Libris-Malleus will give you an extra 30% research speed on anything you do, thus making it so that you can make your knights much more powerful much quicker.
- Warp-Drive 1 - 20% extra ship speed, allowing you to reach Bloom inflicted planets quicker.
- Enhanced Geller Field - The Enhanced Geller Field will make it so that you no longer have to worry about Warp Storm Risks whenever you’re piloting your ship.
- Void Shields - Every upgrade to your Void Shields will increase your hull integrity, allowing you to engage in battles with a greater peace of mind.
- Gun Batteries - Every upgrade to your Gun Batteries will increase your level, meaning that they’ll become stronger and much more accurate.
- Barracks - Every upgrade to your barracks will increase your recruit ranks and the capacity of your barracks.
- Meditation Chamber - Upgrading the meditation chamber also means increasing the XP gain of your soldiers.
- Stasis Chamber- This will allow you to store your soldiers that have fallen within battle for future use.
- Augurium - Finally, this will give you extra Prognosticar’s for each level.
The ship elements of Warhammer 40,000 Chaos Gate Daemonhunters don’t seem from the outset to be as necessary as the other elements, but you’ll quickly come to realise how essential they are in your battle, and that ignoring them will simply lead to misery and restarting your game over and over again.
Your ship is your biggest asset, it’s where you house all your units and where you plan all of your attacks, so treat it as such and make sure that it has the best possible upgrades you can give it. Once again I'd recommend increasing the health and armour of your ship as quickly as possible, since the game is determined to kill you in any way it can and it'll do basically anything to achieve that goal. Also, and I mean this with as much desperation as I can convey over a guide, please get the Meditation Chamber as soon as you can. Increasing the XP gain of your soldiers means you make them as strong as possible extremely quickly, which is more than necessary in this game.
Making your speed as high as possible is a great idea too, given how usually multiple different planets will be invaded by the Bloom at the exact same time as each other. I can't count how many times I've been completing one mission on a planet, finally successfully finishing my objective, going back to the screen ready to travel to the next planet only to discover that I was too slow and the Bloom had successfully destroyed that planet.
If I'd have had the speed upgrades earlier in the game, so many more planets would have been reachable for me and my Prognosticar's to save, but alas I simply didn't know better at the time.
Hopefully all of this helps you out in your journey with Warhammer 40,000 Chaos Gate Daemonhunters, allowing you take down the Bloom quickly and with the greatest of ease. The game won't hold your hand and tell you what to do, so you need to do the right investments to begin with or you face an uphill battle to win the day.