Shin Megami Tensei III does a lot of fantastic things. The combat is engaging and the dungeons are well thought out and interesting but it doesn't always point you in the right direction. When you get to the ending of the Shin Megami Tensei III Great Underpass of Ginza you'll be blocked by a guard. He'll tell you that he can't let you through and with that, your progress has been stopped. This guide will help walk you through how to make your way past the guard.
If you're at the guard already and you're not sure what to do your solution will come through the assistance of the Collector Manikin. If you leave where the guard is and head down the ladder closest to your location there will be a doorway leading you to the Collector Manikin. He tells you a story about how he is good friends with the guard and that the guard will routinely let him leave in search of more objects for his collection. As can be expected if the Demi-fiend helps out the Collector Manikin by finding a paper bill from before the conception then he'll put in a good word for you and allow you to leave. The only trouble here is..... that he doesn't give you any kind of direction as to where a paper bill may be. Use the steps below to find out how to get this bill:
- Go back to the save point and teleport to Ginza
- Leave Ginza returning to the Overworld
- Enter the North entrance to Ginza, this will be one of the ones you likely haven't been to yet.
- Move through the linear passage to gain access to Loki’s room at the back of the bar
- Collect the 1000 Yen Bill in this room, there are also a variety of other helpful items to pick up in this room
- As soon as you step out of Loki's room the Troll will appear instigating a boss fight
Shin Megami Tensei III Great Underpass of Ginza - Troll Boss Fight
Reward: 1000 Macca and 100 EXP
Resistances: Ice (Drain)
I took on this boss with a party of average level 11-12. While he wasn't incredibly difficult there were definitely a few things that can be done to make the fight much easier. The easiest precautions to have is to make sure the Demi-fiend has ingested the Wadatsumi Magatama. This will mean he will take no damage from ice attacks, important when the biggest worry you'll have from the Troll is his Mabufula ice spell that attacks the whole party. On that note also make sure none of your demons are weak to ice, you don't want this guy getting extra attacks. You'll have also come across the demon Erthys recently, this demon has a good defense stat and also skills to buff your whole party's defenses.
7. After dispatching the Troll you should now be able to teleport back to the Great Underpass of Ginza and hand the 1000 Yen Bill to the Collector Manikin. In exchange he will give you a note to show the gate guard giving you free access through the gateway.