Genshin Impact Version 2.2 update has a banner for the Hydro Fatui Harbinger, Tartaglia, but coming shortly after him is a Pyro counterpart: Thoma. Known as the "Protector from Afar," Thoma is a 4-star Pyro polearm wielder who assists Kamisato Ayaka with her daily tasks.
Being the Chief Retainer of the Kamisato Clan, Thoma's influence is known throughout Inazuma. Learn how to build Thoma in TechRaptor's official build guide.
Genshin Impact Thoma Build Guide - Team Role
Thoma's ability to provide a shield for his teammates means he is a very defensive character. Despite this, he can still output decent damage, making him a perfect fit as a Sub-DPS. Playing Thoma offensively is possible, but as a Main DPS, there are much better options available - like Xiangling and Hu Tao.
Genshin Impact Thoma Build Guide - Talents
Thoma Normal Attack: Swiftshatter Spear
- Normal attack: Performs up to four consecutive spear strikes.
- Charged attack: Consumes a certain amount of stamina to lunge forward, dealing damage to opponents along the way.
- Plunging attack: Plunges from mid-air to strike the ground below, damaging opponents along the path and dealing AoE damage upon impact.
Thoma Elemental Skill: Blazing Blessing
- Thoma delivers a flaming kick, dealing AoE Pyro DMG and summoning a Blazing Barrier
- Blazing Barrier scales off of Thoma's Max HP
- Blazing Barrier Absorbs Pyro DMG 250% more effectively
- Each additional Blazing Barrier stacks atop the original, refreshing its duration.
Thoma Elemental Burst: Crimson Ooyoroi
- Thoma slices at foes with his spinning polearm, dealing AoE Pyro DMG and giving Thoma the Scorching Ooyoroi effect.
- When Scorching Ooyoroi is active, the active character's Normal Attacks will trigger Fiery Collapse, dealing AoE Pyro DMG and summoning a Blazing Barrier.
- Fiery Collapse can be triggered every second.
- Blazing Barriers are identical to the ones created in Thoma's Elemental Skill, Blazing Blessing.
Genshin Impact Thoma Build Guide - Artifacts
A set commonly used on Support and Sub-DPS characters.
- The two-piece set bonus is a 20% boost to Elemental Burst DMG.
- The four-piece set bonus is a 20% ATK boost bonus to all teammates, which is granted when the Artifact holder uses their Elemental Burst.
This set is helpful for Thoma as his role as a Sub-DPS means players will often be switching him out after activating his Elemental Burst. On top of providing a shield, Thoma will be giving extra DMG to his allies.
Crimson Witch of Flames
A set commonly used on Pyro characters.
- The two-piece set bonus is a 15% boost to Pyro Damage.
- The four-piece set bonus increases Elemental Reactions: Overload and Burning damage increase by 40%, while Vaporize and Melt damage increase by 15%.
If Thoma is being built more towards doing damage than to providing support to his team, the Crimson Witch of Flames set is perfect for him. This will boost Thoma's Pyro DMG while also increasing the DMG his Elemental Reactions do.
Genshin Impact Thoma Build Guide - Weapons
Staff of Homa
A 5-star polearm that can be obtained on the weapon banner.
- Increases HP by 20%. Also provides an ATK bonus based on 0.8% of the user's Max HP. When the wielder's HP is less than 50%, the bonus increases to 1.8% of the user's Max HP.
- Secondary stat increases CRIT DMG by a maximum of 62.2%.
Since Thoma's kit needs to be tailored towards his HP, a weapon that grants him boosts to that is essential. On top of this, Thoma also will gain bonus DMG - a nice bonus to this already phenomenal weapon.
A 4-star polearm available as a limited-time event reward.
- Increases Elemental Burst DMG by 16% and Elemental Burst Critical Rate by 6%.
- Secondary stat that increases Energy Recharge by a maximum 45.9%
If Thoma's HP has already been increased to a substantial level, increasing his Energy Recharge can help him keep his Elemental Burst up time higher. For this reason, "The Catch" is a great weapon to run on him.
A 4-star polearm that can be crafted.
- Increases Normal and Charged ATK DMG by a maximum of 16% for 12 seconds after using an Elemental Skill. Maximum of two stacks.
- Secondary stat increases Energy Recharge by a maximum of 45.9%.
Prototype Starglitter isn't as good as "The Catch" or Staff of Homa, but it's accessible to all players and can easily be refined to rank five through crafting. If you don't have either of the other two options, Prototype Starglitter provides Energy Recharge, which is helpful to Thoma.
Genshin Impact Thoma Build Guide - Team Composition
Since Thoma is a Sub-DPS, there are a lot of teammates that would fit on his team, as his ability to provide a shield is helpful to any Main DPS. Due to Thoma's position as a Pyro user, he is able to provide Elemental Reactions that do a lot of damage, like Vaporize and Overload.
A team for Thoma could look like this:
- Tartaglia (Hydro Main DPS)
- Thoma (Pyro Sub DPS)
- Raiden Shogun (Sub DPS Battery)
- Bennett (Pyro Support)
In this team, Thoma and Tartaglia will do the most damage to enemies with their Elemental Reaction, Vaporize. Bennett and Thoma are both Pyro characters, so the Pyro resonance Fervent Flames will be active. This grants an increase to ATK by 25% and a 40% resistance to Cryo. Bennett will also provide an ATK buff and healing with his Elemental Burst. Raiden Shogun's Elemental Burst will provide Energy to all characters, substantial Electro DMG, and the Elemental Reaction Overload for Thoma.
Thoma's hearty shield has the strength to absorb an immense amount of damage if he is built right, but his defensive nature doesn't mean he can't dish out damage himself. Regardless, his cordial behavior wins the heart of many Inazuma residents, especially that of Kamisato Ayaka herself.
For more Genshin Impact guides, stay tuned to TechRaptor.