Genshin Impact's ghost-loving trickster, Hu Tao, is making her way into player's teams with the newest banner, Moment of Bloom. She'll be sharing her banner with the 4-Star Pyro user, Thoma.
Being the 77th-generation director of the Wangsheng Funeral parlor, Hu Tao is no stranger to ghosts, ghouls, and anything post-mortem. She finds comfort in the idea of death and surely brings a quick end to foes she comes across on the battlefield.
Hu Tao is a top-tier Pyro DPS that can devastate foes, especially with the right build. Read ahead to learn how to build Hu Tao in TechRaptor's official build guide.
Genshin Impact Hu Tao Build Guide - Team Role
Hu Tao's potential as a DPS comes from her unique attack scaling, with is determined by her maximum HP. Combine Hu Tao with a devastating Hydro character and Vaporize her foes into the Abyss.
Hu Tao's build focus is on maximizing her HP, Pyro DMG, CRIT Rate, and CRIT DMG. By focusing on these stats and making sure she's taking full advantage of her Papilio state, Hu Tao becomes one of the strongest units in Genshin Impact.
Genshin Impact Hu Tao Build Guide - Talents
Hu Tao Normal Attack: Secret Spear of Wangsheng
- Hu Tao's Normal Attack: Perform up to six consecutive attacks.
- Hu Tao's Charged Attack: Consume stamina to charge forward and damage enemies in the way.
- Hu Tao's Plunging Attack: Plunge to the ground, dealing damage to enemies in your path, finishing with AoE DMG on impact.
Hu Tao's Elemental Skill: Guide to Afterlife
Hu Tao consumes a portion of her HP to enter the Paramite Papilio state and knock enemies around her back.
- Paramita Papilio: increases ATK based on maximum HP at the time of using Elemental Skill. Normal Attacks are infused with Pyro DMG and cannot be overridden.
- Charged Attacks apply the Blood Blossom effect to enemies, which deals Pyro DMG every four seconds. Can only affect one enemy at a time.
Hu Tao's Elemental Burst: Spirit Soother
Hu Tao grabs a ghost and smacks the enemy with it, dealing Pyro DMG in a large AoE.
- Hu Tao generates Max HP when she hits enemies. This can occur with a maximum of five enemies.
- If Hu Tao's HP is below 50% when she hits enemies, the DMG and HP regeneration are increased.
Genshin Impact Hu Tao Build Guide - Artifacts
Crimson Witch of Flames
The Crimson Witch of Flames set is commonly used on Pyro characters.
- The two-piece set bonus grants a 15% bonus to Pyro DMG.
- The four-piece set bonus grants a boost to Elemental Reactions. Overload and Burning DMG increase by 40% while Vaporize and Melt DMG increase by 15%.
Any Pyro DPS can benefit from the Crimson Witch of Flames, especially with the four-piece set bonus. Hu Tao specifically can garner a load of extra DMG due to the increase to Vaporize, which is a key Elemental Reaction for Hu Tao.
The Shimenawa's Reminiscence set is common for DPS characters.
- The two-piece set bonus grants an 18% ATK bonus.
- The four-piece set bonus has a unique effect. When casting an Elemental Skill, if the character has 15 or more Energy, 15 Energy will be lost and all types of Normal Attacks will increase their DMG by 50% for ten seconds.
While the Crimson Witch of Flames is absolutely ideal on Hu Tao, if you're not planning on taking advantage of Elemental Reactions, the Shimenawa's Reminiscence set is a good alternative. Boosted Normal Attack DMG is a great addition to her kit.
Genshin Impact Hu Tao Build Guide - Weapons
Staff of Homa
A 5-star polearm available in the weapon banner.
- Increases HP by 20%. Additionally, provides an ATK bonus based on 0.8% of the wielder's maximum HP. This bonus is increased to 1.8% when the user's HP is below 50%.
- Secondary stat increases CRIT DMG by a maximum of 66.2%
Staff of Homa is the best polearm in Genshin Impact and Hu Tao's slot-in weapon. If you can get your hands on it, the Staff of Homa is the best option for her (and most polearm characters) due to its immense ATK bonus and increase to CRIT DMG.
A 4-star polearm available in the battlepass.
- Increases ATK% by 16% if there are more than two enemies nearby; increases ATK% by 24% if there are less than two enemies nearby. Also increases DEF by 16% if there are more than two enemies nearby.
- Secondary stat increases CRIT Rate by a maximum of 36.8%.
Deathmatch is a great fit for most spear-wielding characters. On Hu Tao, an increase to CRIT Rate helps her maximize DMG output.
Genshin Impact Hu Tao Build Guide - Team Composition
Since Hu Tao is the main DPS, building around her is relatively easy, as you simply need to fit other characters into basic roles. Hydro allies are essential to take advantage of the Vaporize possibility, but Cryo is also another that should be considered.
Another Pyro user can also be helpful to create the Elemental Resonance Fervent Flames, which increases ATK by 25%.
A team for Hu Tao could look like this:
- Hu Tao (Pyro Main DPS)
- Xingqiu (Hydro Sub DPS)
- Bennett (Pyro Healer and Utility)
- Zhongli (Geo Shields)
Hu Tao and Xingqiu will get the most time on the field. Xingqiu's Elemental Burst, Raincutter, consecutively triggers rains word attacks. These attacks are powerful, deal Hydro DMG, and can occur when Xingqiu is off-field. For this reason, Hu Tao can constantly trigger Vaporize, dealing an immense amount of DMG to foes. Bennett's purpose is to heal the team and provide an ATK buff with his Elemental Burst and Zhongli's is to provide a shield to allies.
Hu Tao is a surreptitious and tricky character that many in the world of Genshin Impact are annoyed by, but her immense Pyro DMG is admirable nonetheless. Utilizing this build guide will help you see Hu Tao's ultimate potential.
For more Genshin Impact build guides, stay tuned to TechRaptor.